Expect more pizza ordering options on your video game consoles, based on the success of Pizza Hut's Xbox 360 app that launched last year. Within the first four months of the Pizza Hut app's existence, it did more than $1 million in business through Xbox Live, the company said.
"It's been a source of unbelievable growth for us," said Doug Terfehr, director of public relations for Pizza Hut, in an interview with Polygon. "Just the explosion of people who wanted to download it, experiment with it, play with it with Kinect. As soon as we did one, everyone was contacting us to do the next [one]."
Pizza Hut reps wouldn't say when it would pursue another game console app on, say, Xbox One or any of the PlayStation or Nintendo platforms, saying, "Conversations continue to be ongoing with us. Wherever you are, we want to be."
More pizza-ordering apps are on the company's road map, but may be far off in the future, meaning many of us will be forced to order food through more traditional, non-video game console means. Pizza Hut is focusing on improving its iOS and Android apps, Terfehr said, to match the experience on Xbox. Reps also say they're hoping for a larger install base on Xbox One before bringing their order app to Microsoft's new console.
"When you talk about a sweet spot for the pizza category it's definitely gamers and gaming," Terfehr said. "We're not done in that space."
Pizza Hut was in attendance at CES this week to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the world's first online order, which it says was through its PizzaNet website.
- Sony agrees to $15M settlement in 2011 data breach class action
- Dwarf Fortress will crush your CPU because creating history is hard
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- Launching Civilization: Beyond Earth
- Final Fantasy designer Tetsuya Nomura shows his extreme take on Batman
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Spare PS4 Beta Codes
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- A New Steam Controller
- DESTINY disappointment?