Expect more pizza ordering options on your video game consoles, based on the success of Pizza Hut's Xbox 360 app that launched last year. Within the first four months of the Pizza Hut app's existence, it did more than $1 million in business through Xbox Live, the company said.
"It's been a source of unbelievable growth for us," said Doug Terfehr, director of public relations for Pizza Hut, in an interview with Polygon. "Just the explosion of people who wanted to download it, experiment with it, play with it with Kinect. As soon as we did one, everyone was contacting us to do the next [one]."
Pizza Hut reps wouldn't say when it would pursue another game console app on, say, Xbox One or any of the PlayStation or Nintendo platforms, saying, "Conversations continue to be ongoing with us. Wherever you are, we want to be."
More pizza-ordering apps are on the company's road map, but may be far off in the future, meaning many of us will be forced to order food through more traditional, non-video game console means. Pizza Hut is focusing on improving its iOS and Android apps, Terfehr said, to match the experience on Xbox. Reps also say they're hoping for a larger install base on Xbox One before bringing their order app to Microsoft's new console.
"When you talk about a sweet spot for the pizza category it's definitely gamers and gaming," Terfehr said. "We're not done in that space."
Pizza Hut was in attendance at CES this week to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the world's first online order, which it says was through its PizzaNet website.
- How video games can change the world, one child at a time
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Why a deal between Netflix and Comcast matters to gamers
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Titanfall's Expedition DLC offers a 'parkour playground' with the 'War Games' map
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Twitch Stream: Titanfall (One Match)