PlanetSide 2 developer Sony Online Entertainment now plans to deliver weekly updates to the massively multiplayer online shooter every Wednesday starting Jan. 15, creative director Matt Higby announced on the game's forums this week.
The studio recently overhauled its development processes with the goal of being able to release updates more regularly. Benefits to players under Sony Online's new strategy include frequent, consistent content drops, as well as a quicker response time from the studio to bugs and balance issues.
"Each individual update will be smaller and more focused, with fewer moving parts that can break, which we hope will greatly decrease the number of bugs being introduced when we update," said Higby. He noted that Sony Online will still be working on larger features and pieces of content, and that those items will be released on the same schedule once they're ready.
PlanetSide 2 is currently available on Windows PC, and will be released on PlayStation 4 early this year.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- $169 worth of awesome games (and Daikatana)