Less than a day after the app was pulled from stores by its developer, phones installed with mobile game phenomenon Flappy Bird are cropping up on eBay with exorbitant price tags, ranging everywhere from $300 to over $90,000 for the minimum bid.
A majority of the phones listed are Apple's iPhone 5 or 5S in various colors and span a number of providers, including AT&T, Sprint and Verizon. Most — like this gold iPhone 5s with a minimum price of $999 — have only one bid, although some listed at higher prices have more than 60 bids apiece. An auction with one of the highest dollar amounts — $99,990 — for a gray iPhone 5S has 74 bids at the time of writing. Currently, none of these prices or bids have been verified.
A small number of eBay users are also auctioning off the Flappy Bird game file, which the sellers reportedly ripped from the respective mobile game stores. One user is selling the iOS version of the game at a $50 "buy it now" price.
The first listings for phones installed with Flappy Bird began to appear just hours after developer Dong Nguyen pulled the game off Google Play and the iTunes App Store. The media storm surrounding the recent popularity rise of Flappy Bird – which first launched backed in Sept. 2013 — was an unwanted side effect of the game's success, Nguyen said, although he tweeted that he will continue to make new games.
"I am sorry Flappy Bird users, 22 hours from now, I will take Flappy Bird down," he tweeted. "I cannot take this anymore.
"It is not anything related to legal issues. I just cannot keep it anymore."
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- Watch 50-plus minutes of zombie-infested H1Z1 gameplay
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Skullgirls Encore getting its first male character April 22
- Danganronpa 2 coming West on Sept. 2
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- The Elder Scrolls Online's guild bank disabled
- Fenix Fire launches Kickstarter campaign for arcade adventure Source
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- Which platform will you get Dark Souls 2 on?
- The best song in a video game?