Less than a day after the app was pulled from stores by its developer, phones installed with mobile game phenomenon Flappy Bird are cropping up on eBay with exorbitant price tags, ranging everywhere from $300 to over $90,000 for the minimum bid.
A majority of the phones listed are Apple's iPhone 5 or 5S in various colors and span a number of providers, including AT&T, Sprint and Verizon. Most — like this gold iPhone 5s with a minimum price of $999 — have only one bid, although some listed at higher prices have more than 60 bids apiece. An auction with one of the highest dollar amounts — $99,990 — for a gray iPhone 5S has 74 bids at the time of writing. Currently, none of these prices or bids have been verified.
A small number of eBay users are also auctioning off the Flappy Bird game file, which the sellers reportedly ripped from the respective mobile game stores. One user is selling the iOS version of the game at a $50 "buy it now" price.
The first listings for phones installed with Flappy Bird began to appear just hours after developer Dong Nguyen pulled the game off Google Play and the iTunes App Store. The media storm surrounding the recent popularity rise of Flappy Bird – which first launched backed in Sept. 2013 — was an unwanted side effect of the game's success, Nguyen said, although he tweeted that he will continue to make new games.
"I am sorry Flappy Bird users, 22 hours from now, I will take Flappy Bird down," he tweeted. "I cannot take this anymore.
"It is not anything related to legal issues. I just cannot keep it anymore."
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Watch The Last of Us stars share their first meeting, discuss 'alternate' ending
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- EA launches subscription service on Xbox One
- Velvet Sundown is like a goofy BioWare RPG, minus the combat
- Here's what's in the $120 version of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- LittleBigPlanet 3 launching Nov. 18 on PS3 and PS4
- The Last of Us review update: Remastered on PS4
- A global terrorist attack kicks off Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, watch the story trailer here
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???