A hacker called Ethical Spectrum claims to have hacked developer Supercell's official Clash of Clans and Hay Day Facebook pages and posted a screenshot that purports to show the company's daily revenue.
Multiple social network posts from a hacker have since been deleted, though pictures are archived in links from a Reddit post. A post on developer Supercell's Clash of Clans Facebook page from early Monday morning confirms the hack and says that the developer is "working to resolve the problem." A similar message appeared at the same time on Hay Day's Facebook page.
Ethical Spectrum also claims to have posted an unverified screenshot revealing that Supercell made $5.15 million in revenue on Feb. 7, has 29.4 million daily average users and gained 931,000 new users. The screenshot pegs average revenue per daily active user (ARPEAU) at $0.18, although multiplying the 29.4 million daily average users by $0.18 nets $5.29 million. It is unclear whether this revenue is for Clash of Clans or all of Supercell's games. A late 2012 report pegged daily revenue from Clash of Clans and Hay Day at approximately $1 million.
The alleged hacker purports to have gained access to Supercell's Engagor account, a "tool to manage all your social media activity," according to its official description. The software offers users a way to analyze, monitor and post to multiple social networks like Facebook and Twitter.
In an interview with E27 linked from the self-proclaimed hacker's Twitter account, Ethical Spectrum said he or she "hacked their [Supercell's] admin panel so I was able to see that info." Ethical Spectrum declined to provide a name but did give a Syrian base of operations.
Ethical Spectrum does not "have access to players [sic] credit card information," according to a tweet from the apparent hacker's Twitter account.
When asked if there would be more leaked information, Ethical Spectrum said, "This depends on the cooperation of the company with me." The alleged hacker did not say what he or she wants from Supercell.
We've reached out to Engagor and Supercell for more information and context and will update this article with more information as we receive it.
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Is Telltale teasing the setting for its new Game of Thrones series?
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'