The redesigned "slim" PlayStation Vita, the PCH-2000 model, will be released in North America this spring as part of a $199 Borderlands 2 bundle, announced Sony's John Koller during a press event in Los Angeles this afternoon.
According to Koller, vice president of marketing for Sony Computer Entertainment America, the PS Vita version of Borderlands 2 will feature four-player cooperative play and cross-platform compatibility with save games from the original PlayStation 3 version of the game. It will also include six downloadable add-ons that Gearbox Software has released to this point. Iron Galaxy Studios is co-developing Borderlands 2 on PS Vita, and that version will by published by Sony Computer Entertainment.
The new PS Vita debuted in Japan last October, and Sony released it in the U.K. last week. It swaps out the original handheld's OLED screen for an LCD and features a narrower rear touchpad and rounded edges. It's also 60 grams lighter than the old model, a reduction of 15 percent, and 20 percent thinner. For more, check out our hands-on impressions from the 2014 Tokyo Game Show.
There's no word yet on whether Sony will also be selling the redesigned PS Vita by itself, or if the new model will completely replace the old one at retail. We'll provide more updates as we have them.
Update: While the redesigned PS Vita is available in six colors in Japan, the North American Borderlands 2 bundle will contain a black Wi-Fi-enabled handheld, along with a downloadable copy of the game and an 8 GB memory card. The six included add-ons are Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty, Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage, the Psycho and Mechromancer character classes, Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 1 and the Collector's Edition Pack. You can see an image of the bundle below, as well as a trailer.
- Watch what Grand Theft Auto 4's killer PC mod does for its original trailer
- The man who made Atari's E.T. names his worst video game of all time
- GOG.com accidentally gives away thousands of games
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Freedom Planet - Overview video
- Street Fighter: World Warrior live action series in development
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Battlefield Hardline's singleplayer tells the story of a good cop framed
- Twitch Plays Pokémon starting Pokémon X on July 27 thanks to modded 3DS
- Play Settlers of Catan Anytime thanks to HTML 5
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- What Last-Gen Game Do You Want Remade For Next-Gen?
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Tell Us Your Story