Microsoft will begin rolling out an Xbox One system update in March that will improve the system's multiplayer and change the way users can interact with their friends, the corporate vice president of Xbox Marc Whitten announced today.
The update, which will be available before Titanfall's Xbox One launch on March 11, will introduce features that affect the way multiplayer modes and parties work on the system. These include:
- The ability to get to your friends list faster. The friends list will now be accessible from the Social tile on the Home menu, or via the voice command "Xbox, go to friends."
- Party chat will be turned on by default when players join a party.
- The ability to chat with friends who are playing different games.
- An "Invite friends to game" option for future multiplayer titles.
- A list of "Recent Players" that lets users see the Xbox Live members they've recently played with.
"We've prided ourselves on having the best multiplayer service for Xbox 360 and we've listened to your feedback about the features you want to see on Xbox One and Xbox Live," Whitten said. "We've heard your feedback and the team has been working overtime to deliver updates that will significantly improve the multiplayer and party experience on Xbox One."
In addition to the system update, March will see the launch of the Xbox One stereo headset and adapter. The headset will offer a full-range (20Hz-20kHz) audio spectrum and will ship with a detachable adapter that allows users to balance a game's audio levels. The headset will retail for $79.99 and the adapter will retail for $24.99. Microsoft confirmed that both items will be available separately.
Audio hardware manufacturer Turtle Beach unveiled its own Xbox One-compatible headsets at CES this year. The company said it was waiting for Microsoft to provide the adapters that will ultimately make those headsets work with the new console.
"The improvements to multiplayer and parties are just a few of the features that will be included," Whitten said, "and we'll continue to share more details in the days and weeks ahead, including in-depth videos so you're all ready to take advantage of the new features in March."
- Development hell: The video game
- Which games company do developers most want to work for?
- How Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition tricked us into playing Diablo 3 again
- Want to save time and money? Stop buying games at launch
- Buy side-scroller Azure Striker Gunvolt on 3DS, get 8-bit throwback Mighty Gunvolt free
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Metro Redux: Will It Be A Must Purchase?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Could Nintendo go third party?
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Polygon Video Player - What's the deal?
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- What's a good game for a 65-year old first time gamer?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 16.2: Chris Houlihan was here. Shhhhhhhhhh, its a secret to everyone.