Xbox Entertainment Studios is producing a television series inspired by the life of rapper Nas, reports Deadline.
The half-hour series, Street Dreams, is said to be "loosely based" on Nas' experience as an up-and-coming rapper in the 1990s. Set in the Queensbridge neighborhood of Queens, N.Y., Nas' hometown, the series is being written and directed by Jonathan Levine, the director of 2013's zombie love story Warm Bodies.
Los Angeles-based Xbox Entertainment Studios was created in early 2013 to produce original programming, including interactive content, for the Xbox brand. The company is working on a series of documentaries as well as reality television.
We're reaching out to Microsoft for more details, and will update this article with any information we receive.
Correction: Deadline's report originally referred to Street Dreams as a "comedy series," but Deadline has since amended its story to call it a "music series." We've edited the story above to reflect this.
Update: A Microsoft representative did not comment on the report, but sent Polygon the following statement:
"The only projects we've announced to date are Halo, The Television Series, executive produced by Steven Spielberg, and the multi-film documentary series produced by Simon Chinn and Jonathan Chinn, with the first documentary film exploring the fabled Atari mystery. We have been overwhelmed by the interest we've received from the creative community to collaborate with us on developing unique, compelling story telling experiences for the Xbox community and look forward to sharing more with you soon."
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- There is a human inside this insane Metal Gear cosplay
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart