In an interview with Rock Paper Shotgun, Electronic Arts chief creative officer Rich Hilleman downplayed Battlefield 4's shaky launch across five platforms and its ongoing issues experienced by players, saying that the problems were magnified because of the game's popularity.
"I think there was a lot of noise about the game, but some of that is a function of your surface area," Hilleman told RPS. "The more customers you have, the more noise becomes available. We did things wrong. We know that. We're gonna fix those things. We're gonna try to be smart about what customers want in the future."
Since its October launch, players across all platforms have been hounded by ongoing issues with the game from being unable to connect to servers, getting booted from matches, crashes, desynchronized game worlds and numerous other bugs. The persistent problems caused the publisher to halt development of the game's future downloadable content and third-party driver support so developer EA DICE can focus on addressing the issues once and for all.
"I'm not sure I accept your premise," Hilleman said when asked if EA was overhauling how game roll outs will be approached going forward in light of Sim City and Battlefield 4's troubled launches. He added that Battlefield 4 was an "exceedingly successful" title across the platforms in both terms of sales and gameplay perspectives.
Battlefield 4 developer DICE said in November that it was committed to resolving the shooter's problems and held a player appreciation week late last year. At the time, Karl Magnus Troedsson, general manager at DICE stated that while he was extremely proud of the team who contributed to Battlefield 4's development, he was less proud that the game experienced a turbulent launch period.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- Which platform will you get Dark Souls 2 on?
- The best song in a video game?
- Controller Design Competition
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward