The PlayStation 4 version of Rayman Legends will support PlayStation Vita Remote Play, but the handheld can't be used by a co-op player like the Wii U GamePad in that version of the platformer, according to developer Ubisoft Montpellier.
Responding in a developer Q&A posted on the PlayStation Blog, Rayman Legends senior game designer Emile Morel said that for Remote Play, the developers "have adapted the game controls to PS Vita so the experience is as enjoyable on this console as it is with the PS4 joystick in your hands."
While in Remote Play mode, the PS Vita can't be used to play as the assist character Murfy, since the handheld just mirrors what's on the PS4. Rayman Legends on Wii U features levels in which a player takes control of Murfy on the GamePad's touchscreen while the other person continues playing on the television as Rayman's friend Globox. But the PS4 version of Rayman Legends doesn't offer this functionality on the PS Vita, since the Remote Play connection between the two systems creates a mirror image.
"The Murfy levels on PS4 have been designed to be played with a classic character, such as Rayman or Globox, for example," said Morel.
The PS4 version does support the DualShock 4's touchpad for scratching Lucky Tickets, complete with a scraping noise emanating from the controller's speaker. It also offers a Camera Mode that allows players to pause the game and use touchpad to manipulate a screenshot that they can then post with the console's sharing functionality.
Rayman Legends will be released Feb. 18 on PS4 and Xbox One. It was released last September on PlayStation 3, PS Vita, Wii U and Xbox 360.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Robot Mode (Wed 12 Mar)
- Video frame issues - It can't just be me
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- Just about ready to cash in my pre-order......
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- The Last of US DLC
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?