Resident Evil composer Mamoru Samuragochi, formerly known as Japan's Beethoven, confirms he is no longer deaf despite maintaining he had been throughout his career, AFP reports.
Samuragochi released an apology that confirms he now has some hearing ability, following accusations last month that he had lied.
"In recent years I have started to be able to hear a little bit more than before... since about three years ago I can hear words if people speak clearly and slowly into my ears," Samuragochi wrote. "It is true that I received a certificate proving I had a hearing disorder and that I couldn't hear anything up until three years ago."
According to Nippon TV (as reported by Kotaku), an individual connected to a Japanese game developer said: "As for Mamoru Samuraghoch being able to hear, it was an unspoken understanding among everyone in the company." Samuragochi is credited on two game soundtracks, both of which were released by Capcom.
Polygon has reached out to Capcom for comment.
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Stronger distinction of Recommended posts/comments
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- I'm going to make an AMV...and I need your help.
- How's this PC for next gen?
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall