Finnish developer Rovio announced the latest spin-off of its Angry Birds brand this morning: Angry Birds Stella, a multimedia project centered around the pink bird Stella and her new group of companions.
Angry Birds Stella will span multiple entertainment media, including video games, cartoons, toys and books. Rovio noted in a press statement this brand will be in use "for many years to come," suggesting planned longevity for the spin-off.
According to Rovio, Stella will expand upon parts of the Angry Birds world that have not been previously seen. The spin-off will include content focused on messages of "inspiration, empowerment and other real issues" while still bringing to the table Angry Birds' typical "quirky fun."
"Angry Birds Stella is breaking the mold by introducing strong, passionate characters who really stand for something, while adding plenty of action and reality into the mix", Rovio Entertainment CEO Mikael Hed said in a press statement. "The Angry Birds Stella story will live and evolve across physical and digital, bridging them in fun and innovative ways. Stella and her friends are here to stay, with plenty of adventures ahead of them."
More details on Angry Birds Stella products and licensing partners will be announced at a later date.
Last fall, Rovio revealed it was developing three new original animated series: the second season of the Angry Birds Toons cartoon shorts, a Bad Piggies cartoon and the Stella series.
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Does anyone else's NBA 2K14 audio cut out?
- Game contoller for PC
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Connect: The Great "Gamertag/PSN ID/Whatever" Roundup
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!