Finnish developer Rovio announced the latest spin-off of its Angry Birds brand this morning: Angry Birds Stella, a multimedia project centered around the pink bird Stella and her new group of companions.
Angry Birds Stella will span multiple entertainment media, including video games, cartoons, toys and books. Rovio noted in a press statement this brand will be in use "for many years to come," suggesting planned longevity for the spin-off.
According to Rovio, Stella will expand upon parts of the Angry Birds world that have not been previously seen. The spin-off will include content focused on messages of "inspiration, empowerment and other real issues" while still bringing to the table Angry Birds' typical "quirky fun."
"Angry Birds Stella is breaking the mold by introducing strong, passionate characters who really stand for something, while adding plenty of action and reality into the mix", Rovio Entertainment CEO Mikael Hed said in a press statement. "The Angry Birds Stella story will live and evolve across physical and digital, bridging them in fun and innovative ways. Stella and her friends are here to stay, with plenty of adventures ahead of them."
More details on Angry Birds Stella products and licensing partners will be announced at a later date.
Last fall, Rovio revealed it was developing three new original animated series: the second season of the Angry Birds Toons cartoon shorts, a Bad Piggies cartoon and the Stella series.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)