Subset Games' free expansion for FTL: Faster Light, FTL: Advanced Edition, will feature new systems and subsystems such as the Clone Bay, hacking and mind control, the developer announced via the game's official website.
FTL: Advanced Edition, announced alongside the iPad port of full game, will include only eight systems installed on one ship at a time. According to a post from Justin Ma, this requires players to prioritize which systems will "work the best for your current strategy."
One of the game's new systems, the Clone Bay, acts an alternative to the MedBay by allowing players to replace a dead crew member without losing some skills.
"The goal of the Clone Bay was to really disrupt the core way you play the game," Ma wrote. "You'll be able to send crew off into dangerous situations without fear of death. Giant alien spiders will no longer be the terrifying, unstoppable force that you're used to, since the system can simply revive your crew after the event. But, if a stray missile takes out the system mid-clone, you'll find death can still be quite permanent. And you probably shouldn't let your crew ponder too long on the fate of their previous iterations."
The expansion will also include hacking drones players can use to target a specific system on enemy vessels. Weapons that are hacked, for example, will lose their charge immediately and be delayed from firing.
Other systems include Mind Control, which turns one enemy into an ally, and a Backup Battery for extra power.
Last month, Subset Games announced that the upcoming expansion would feature a new alien race of metallic scavengers known as The Lanius. FTL: Advanced Edition is slated for launch this year. Those who own the game on Linux, Mac or Windows PC will be able to pick up the expansion for free, while the iPad port with updated content will be available as a separate purchase.
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- Fenix Fire launches Kickstarter campaign for arcade adventure Source
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- Which platform will you get Dark Souls 2 on?
- The best song in a video game?