Future releases in the Final Fantasy franchise could be coming to Windows PC, according to series producer Yoshinori Kitase who confirmed Square Enix is interested in developing for this platform.
While the series has a long history of console releases, Kitase tells Eurogamer this could change in the future.
"Let's not forget, when we developed the Final Fantasy 13 series, all three titles, at the early stages of development we were working on PC," Kitase said.
"Then we had to port it to the consoles. As far as the technology is concerned, it would have been possible for us to make a PC version, but we decided against it for two reasons: we looked at the market situation and we didn't think it would be a good idea, and also it would have involved lots of complex issues like security. So we decided not to do it this time around.
"But we see potential in it and there are lots of regions and countries where PC is very strong. So in terms of our hope of being able to deliver our games to every single country in the world and to as many gamers as possible, yes, we would definitely be interested in pursuing that route in the future."
Both Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 8, and massively multiplayer releases Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn and Final Fantasy 11 are currently available on Windows PC; However, Square Enix is yet to make this a habit.
For now none of the games under the Final Fantasy 13 umbrella are available on Windows PC, while Final Fantasy 15 is confirmed only for release on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
"It's an early stage for us," he said. "We haven't got an awful lot of experience in this field. So when we have more know-how and experience in this market we would be very interested."
Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn is currently available through Steam at a 50 percent discount until Feb. 25.
- Development hell: The video game
- Ukraine's 4A Games lands in Malta: 'We are not betrayers'
- 1080p will come to Xbox One games, but at a cost
- The police aren't an army: the problem with Battlefield Hardline
- Want to save time and money? Stop buying games at launch
- Xbox 360's 500 GB HD is cheaper than its 320 GB cousin but still expensive
- LittleBigPlanet 3's Oddsock cannot be stopped or contained
- Watch Jimmy Fallon gun down James Bond himself in GoldenEye 007
- Wasteland 2 will be officially released Sept. 19
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 listing appears on Xbox.com
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- What's a good game for a 65-year old first time gamer?
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 16.2: Chris Houlihan was here. Shhhhhhhhhh, its a secret to everyone.
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 19
- Feature to track games?
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy