Future releases in the Final Fantasy franchise could be coming to Windows PC, according to series producer Yoshinori Kitase who confirmed Square Enix is interested in developing for this platform.
While the series has a long history of console releases, Kitase tells Eurogamer this could change in the future.
"Let's not forget, when we developed the Final Fantasy 13 series, all three titles, at the early stages of development we were working on PC," Kitase said.
"Then we had to port it to the consoles. As far as the technology is concerned, it would have been possible for us to make a PC version, but we decided against it for two reasons: we looked at the market situation and we didn't think it would be a good idea, and also it would have involved lots of complex issues like security. So we decided not to do it this time around.
"But we see potential in it and there are lots of regions and countries where PC is very strong. So in terms of our hope of being able to deliver our games to every single country in the world and to as many gamers as possible, yes, we would definitely be interested in pursuing that route in the future."
Both Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 8, and massively multiplayer releases Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn and Final Fantasy 11 are currently available on Windows PC; However, Square Enix is yet to make this a habit.
For now none of the games under the Final Fantasy 13 umbrella are available on Windows PC, while Final Fantasy 15 is confirmed only for release on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
"It's an early stage for us," he said. "We haven't got an awful lot of experience in this field. So when we have more know-how and experience in this market we would be very interested."
Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn is currently available through Steam at a 50 percent discount until Feb. 25.
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Is Telltale teasing the setting for its new Game of Thrones series?
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Thoughts on the inaccurate sensor bar
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Reconsidering Columbine