Ryse: Son of Rome will not be getting the once promised challenge editor for its cooperative gladiator mode, Microsoft confirmed to Polygon this week.
Crytek design director Patrick Esteves discussed plans for the editor with Polygon during a demo of the game at last year's Gamescom in August.
At the time, Esteves said that the game would include an editor that would allow players to quickly put together a map of challenges and objectives in Ryse's cooperative gladiator mode, using the SmartGlass app. Once created, players would have been able to upload it for a set period of time.
The more people who competed in the player-created challenge, the bigger the in-game reward. Crytek developers also planned to keep an eye on uploads to flag the best of the creations to make it easier for the community to find them.
Reached for comment this week, a Microsoft spokesperson said that's no longer the plan.
"After careful consideration, we have decided to cease development on Ryse: Son of Rome's challenge editor and focus on improving and expanding fans' experience with the game through both free content updates and purchased add-on packs," the spokesperson said. "We look forward to sharing more details soon."
Sources tell Polygon, the decision was driven in part by lackluster review scores for the game. Ryse received an average Metacritic score of 60 and the average user score on Metacritic is 5.9.
Earlier this week, Microsoft announced the Ryse: Son of Rome Mars' Chosen Pack. The $8.99 download pack, which hits Feb. 28, will include a new Legionary character skin, five new maps and a new survival mode.
- State of Decay's Lifeline DLC is just the start of Undead Labs' 'long-term ambitions'
- See Star Citizen's dogfighting, and more, in action
- AbleGamers Foundation raised more than $33K at PAX East 2014
- Hearthstone Fireside Gatherings will help players meet in the real world April 26
- Political-based strategy game ReignMaker now available for PC via Steam
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Easter Monday MMXIV (Mon 21 April)
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Does anyone else's NBA 2K14 audio cut out?
- Game contoller for PC