"Garry's Mod has just broke $30,000,000," said Newman. "And if my calculations are correct — we have now officially made more money from Rust than Garry's Mod." According to Newman, revenue from Rust currently stands at 0.34 percent more than sales of Garry's Mod, which would put Rust's sales at more than $30.1 million.
Facepunch originally released Garry's Mod as a Half-Life 2 mod in December 2004, and began selling it as a stand-alone game on Steam in November 2006 for $9.99. The studio released an alpha version of Rust, an open-world sandbox survival game, on Steam Early Access last December for $19.99.
Within five weeks of going on sale, profits from Rust sales had reached 40 percent of the lifetime sales and royalties from Garry's Mod. Now the newer game has surpassed the older game in two months versus more than seven years.
We've reached out to Newman for more details, and will update this article with any information we receive. You can see Rust in action in our Overview video below.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- You can pre-order this beautiful $365 Metroid statue starting today
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer