Update: Microsoft says Titanfall's pre-load option was posted in error and it doesn't plan to allow Xbox One owners to download the game in advance of launch. A Microsoft spokesperson offered the following comment to Polygon:
"We believe in digital distribution, and are proud to give gamers a variety of ways to purchase and experience their games. However, pre-purchase and pre-download for Titanfall for Xbox One will not be available from Xbox Store. We'll continue to strike a balance between digital distribution and its benefits, while supporting physical games purchase through our retail partners."
"The pre-purchase offer page was posted in error. We apologize for any confusion."
Microsoft has since removed the page with Titanfall's pre-load details from Xbox.com.
Original story: Xbox One owners looking to jump into Respawn's Titanfall as quickly as possible will be able to pre-load the game ahead of its March 11 launch and play just after midnight, according to the game's page on Xbox.com.
Downloadable games on Xbox One have typically only been made available when the physical version of the game hits retailers, but Titanfall will be available for download — all 15.88 GB of it — at some point before the game's official release date, Microsoft says. The advantage goes to Xbox One owners on the west coast of the U.S., who will see their pre-loaded downloads of the game unlock one minute after midnight.
Here's what Xbox.com has to say about Titanfall's pre-purchase option.
Pre-purchase: You will be charged the full price immediately for this pre-purchase. Xbox One game expected to release on March 11th, 2014. You may download the game from Xbox Live before then, but it will not be playable until after 12:01 AM PST on the release date in your country.
Titanfall on Windows PC will available for pre-loading through EA's Origin service, which is required to play the PC version.
For more on Titanfall, read our recent hands-on impressions of the game's multiplayer beta and watch our Overview video.
- How video games can change the world, one child at a time
- The Elder Scrolls Online review: other people
- Guild Wars 2 review update: the long game
- Tabletop Simulator - Overview video
- The modder who fixed Dark Souls' PC graphics releases Dark Souls 2 mod
- A coming compendium to the world's most fascinating and completely fictional history
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition saves will transfer to Xbox One version
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Injustice: Gods Among Us gets multiplayer mode on iOS today, Android in May
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)