Update: Microsoft says Titanfall's pre-load option was posted in error and it doesn't plan to allow Xbox One owners to download the game in advance of launch. A Microsoft spokesperson offered the following comment to Polygon:
"We believe in digital distribution, and are proud to give gamers a variety of ways to purchase and experience their games. However, pre-purchase and pre-download for Titanfall for Xbox One will not be available from Xbox Store. We'll continue to strike a balance between digital distribution and its benefits, while supporting physical games purchase through our retail partners."
"The pre-purchase offer page was posted in error. We apologize for any confusion."
Microsoft has since removed the page with Titanfall's pre-load details from Xbox.com.
Original story: Xbox One owners looking to jump into Respawn's Titanfall as quickly as possible will be able to pre-load the game ahead of its March 11 launch and play just after midnight, according to the game's page on Xbox.com.
Downloadable games on Xbox One have typically only been made available when the physical version of the game hits retailers, but Titanfall will be available for download — all 15.88 GB of it — at some point before the game's official release date, Microsoft says. The advantage goes to Xbox One owners on the west coast of the U.S., who will see their pre-loaded downloads of the game unlock one minute after midnight.
Here's what Xbox.com has to say about Titanfall's pre-purchase option.
Pre-purchase: You will be charged the full price immediately for this pre-purchase. Xbox One game expected to release on March 11th, 2014. You may download the game from Xbox Live before then, but it will not be playable until after 12:01 AM PST on the release date in your country.
Titanfall on Windows PC will available for pre-loading through EA's Origin service, which is required to play the PC version.
For more on Titanfall, read our recent hands-on impressions of the game's multiplayer beta and watch our Overview video.
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Is Telltale teasing the setting for its new Game of Thrones series?
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Thoughts on the inaccurate sensor bar
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Reconsidering Columbine