Bananasaurus Rex needed to score more than 2.6 million points — dollars, in Spelunky terms — to rise to the top of the leaderboard in Derek Yu's infamously difficult game.
This afternoon, he leapt through that barrier when he scored $2,683,050, a moment you can relive in the video above. Though you'll hear the surprise in Bananasaurus Rex's voice when he realizes what he's done, his record-breaking run didn't stop there. By the time he was through playing, he'd scored $3,105,850. Press play below to see the moment he topped $3 million. You can watch the entire 7.5 hour run on his Twitch page.
Today's achievement isn't Bananasaurus Rex's first in Mossmouth's procedurally generated platformer. Last November, he achieved a solo "eggplant run" in which he acquired and lugged an obscure item with him throughout the game. Be sure to read Die Gute Fabrik co-owner Douglas Wilson's analysis for an in-depth breakdown of that milestone. You can also learn more about the game in Polygon's Spelunky review.
- Link, F-Zero and Animal Crossing are coming to Mario Kart 8 as DLC
- The Walking Dead Season 2 Finale review: can't go home again
- If you thought Dark Souls was hard, try Titan Souls
- Lindsay Lohan lawsuit against GTA 5 publisher was 'for publicity,' says court documents
- The Pokemon fighting game won't play like Tekken (or feature Tekken characters)