Space combat and exploration sim Star Citizen has achieved another funding goal — the $39 million unlock for the "penultimate user-chosen star system," creator Chris Roberts announced via the game's site.
Dubbed the UDS-2943-01-22 System, the "truly unusual star system" is located on the fringes of known space.
Touching on future developments, Roberts said previous stretch goals have been about expanding the game without delay. However, Star Citizen "isn't just about the game we launch with."
"We're going into this building not only an immersive launch experience, but the platforms and the tools to let us keep expanding the game to meet the available technology," Roberts wrote. "The game won't be a static experience: we want to build Star Citizen in a way that the experience will be fresh in five years, ten years and into the foreseeable future."
The newest stretch goal, therefore, will add a procedural generation R&D team at $41 million.
"Advanced procedural generation will be necessary for creating entire planets worth of exploration and development content," Roberts wrote. "A special strike team of procedural generation-oriented developers will be assembled to make this technology a reality."
Funding efforts are currently working toward the $40 million goal, which unlocks the Kabal and Oretani systems.
Star Citizen has already unlocked goals to add content such as the stellar graveyard and the Drake Herald ship. Roberts recently announced a partnership with the developer of Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Warhorse Studios, to better build the game's characters.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Thoughts on the inaccurate sensor bar
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31