Standard Edition licenses of game creation system GameMaker Studio is free until March 2, YoYo Games announced, while current Studio Standard users can upgrade to GameMaker: Studio Professional for $35.00.
Usually retailing for $49.99, those interested can download the free version of GameMaker: Studio Edition from the company's website. Users wishing to upgrade to Studio Professional need to enter their GameMaker: Studio license key at the company's checkout page.
The Standard edition supports Mac OS, Windows PC and Windows 8 exports and also gives users access to the unlimited resources feature. The Professional Edition, usually $99.99, includes additional components such as mobile testing, texture management, team features and Developer Services Portal.
A Master Collection Edition is also available and supports other features like YoYo compiler, HTML5 export, as well as support for Windows Phone 8, Ubuntu Linux, Android and iOS exports. A free entry-level version of GameMaker, which features Mac OS, Windows PC and Windows 8 export support, can be downloaded here.
Games created using the development tool include Nidhogg, Spelunky, Cook, Serve, Delicious, Stealth Bastard Deluxe, Hotline Miami and more. Further information on the offer and how to claim the free copy of GameMaker Studio: Standard Edition can be found on the YoYo Games website. The offer is not available via Steam.
Update: GameMaker Studio requires Windows XP, Vista, 7 or Windows 8 to operate. GameMaker for Mac is available to download for $19.99.
- Want to pitch your indie game? Learn from the guy who's directing Star Wars VIII
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- Solving Silent Hills' playable trailer
- Do low game prices spell a 'mass extinction' for game developers?
- FIFA to crack down on Ultimate Team cheating and coin-farming
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Games with great Sound Design
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9