Standard Edition licenses of game creation system GameMaker Studio is free until March 2, YoYo Games announced, while current Studio Standard users can upgrade to GameMaker: Studio Professional for $35.00.
Usually retailing for $49.99, those interested can download the free version of GameMaker: Studio Edition from the company's website. Users wishing to upgrade to Studio Professional need to enter their GameMaker: Studio license key at the company's checkout page.
The Standard edition supports Mac OS, Windows PC and Windows 8 exports and also gives users access to the unlimited resources feature. The Professional Edition, usually $99.99, includes additional components such as mobile testing, texture management, team features and Developer Services Portal.
A Master Collection Edition is also available and supports other features like YoYo compiler, HTML5 export, as well as support for Windows Phone 8, Ubuntu Linux, Android and iOS exports. A free entry-level version of GameMaker, which features Mac OS, Windows PC and Windows 8 export support, can be downloaded here.
Games created using the development tool include Nidhogg, Spelunky, Cook, Serve, Delicious, Stealth Bastard Deluxe, Hotline Miami and more. Further information on the offer and how to claim the free copy of GameMaker Studio: Standard Edition can be found on the YoYo Games website. The offer is not available via Steam.
Update: GameMaker Studio requires Windows XP, Vista, 7 or Windows 8 to operate. GameMaker for Mac is available to download for $19.99.
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- Shadowrun Returns gets a Director's Cut of its expansion this September
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Really Horrible