The next installment of Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed franchise won't be set at the end of the samurai-era in Japan, managing director Jade Raymond told Adweek.
Rumors about a game set in feudal Japan began to circulate in 2011, after Ubisoft released a survey polling players on which age they'd like to see next. Featured locations included Japan, ancient Egypt, medieval China, the Russian Revolution and Victorian England. In 2012, however, series creative director Alex Hutchinson listed feudal Japan as one of the worst three settings for a game in the franchise, along with World War 2 and ancient Egypt.
Raymond had no further details to share on the game's new setting, other than it would take place in her favorite historical era. The most recent installment, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag launched last year. The game took place in the Caribbean during the 18th century, also known as the Golden Age of Piracy.
"When we're building a franchise, we're thinking of a whole universe and how we're developing a meta-story that could live on for many years in games and TV," Raymond told Adweek. "If the story has nowhere to go, then you end up with the video game equivalent of The Matrix 2 or something where it's never going to be quite as genius."
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- Keep your pants up with these Goldeneye proximity mines
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart