The next installment of Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed franchise won't be set at the end of the samurai-era in Japan, managing director Jade Raymond told Adweek.
Rumors about a game set in feudal Japan began to circulate in 2011, after Ubisoft released a survey polling players on which age they'd like to see next. Featured locations included Japan, ancient Egypt, medieval China, the Russian Revolution and Victorian England. In 2012, however, series creative director Alex Hutchinson listed feudal Japan as one of the worst three settings for a game in the franchise, along with World War 2 and ancient Egypt.
Raymond had no further details to share on the game's new setting, other than it would take place in her favorite historical era. The most recent installment, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag launched last year. The game took place in the Caribbean during the 18th century, also known as the Golden Age of Piracy.
"When we're building a franchise, we're thinking of a whole universe and how we're developing a meta-story that could live on for many years in games and TV," Raymond told Adweek. "If the story has nowhere to go, then you end up with the video game equivalent of The Matrix 2 or something where it's never going to be quite as genius."
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- You can pre-order this beautiful $365 Metroid statue starting today
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- RIP Friends List?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Tell Us Your Story
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming