Konami is dropping the price of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes by $10, from $39.99 to $29.99 for both the retail and digital versions, the publisher announced today.
That cut brings the PS4 and Xbox One versions' price in line with the physical last-generation versions of the game. Ground Zeroes will sell for $29.99 on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 at retail, while those versions will cost $19.99 on the PlayStation Store and Xbox Games Store.
Konami said in a press release today that with the price drop, the publisher "aims to provide as many people as possible an opportunity to experience Kojima Productions' Fox Engine and the first installment in the two-part Metal Gear Solid 5 experience." Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes will serve as a relatively short prequel to Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.
With all games on PS4 and Xbox One being released digitally as well as physically, game makers are experimenting with pricing beyond the previous generation's disparity between full-priced, $60 retail titles and smaller downloadable games released for $20 or less. Companies are also varying pricing with two generations of consoles now in full swing, and some titles being released across both. Consider PopCap Games' multiplayer-only shooter, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, which costs $39.99 on Xbox One and $29.99 on Xbox 360 and Windows PC.
all Ground Zeroes players will be able to unlock content that carries over to The Phantom Pain
Konami also announced today that players who buy the first run of Ground Zeroes will receive exclusive add-on content for The Phantom Pain in the form of "additional resources" for a Mother Base area, a key component of The Phantom Pain. The DLC will be available "in the first batch of the retail version and for a limited period of time for the digital version," according to the press release. And all Ground Zeroes players will be able to unlock content that carries over to The Phantom Pain: Prisoners of war and VIPs that players rescue in Ground Zeroes will exist as part of the Mother Base staff in The Phantom Pain.
Finally, Konami is working on a second-screen experience for Ground Zeroes called iDroid, which will allow players to view Big Boss' in-game communications in an iOS, Android or SmartGlass app. Interactivity with the game includes the ability to view maps, call in air support and play cassette tapes found throughout the world.
Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes will be released March 18 on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Check out a platform comparison video for more details.
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Hotline Miami publisher is coming to the rescue of GaymerX after this week's funding mishap (update)
- Why Shadow of Mordor's undead Elven hero and sexy Sauron are such a big deal
- Borderlands PC multiplayer and DLC, lost with the GameSpy shutdown, is on its way back
- This ATM won't give you any cash, but it will drop you 'Knee-Deep in the Dead'
- PAX Prime 2014's featured indies include Mushroom 11, Duet, Framed
- Shadow Warrior takes Hotline Miami references to Europe in this exclusive content on Sept. 26
- NIS America allegedly backtracks out of GaymerX sponsorship
- Watch The Last of Us: One Night Live right now
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today