Konami is dropping the price of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes by $10, from $39.99 to $29.99 for both the retail and digital versions, the publisher announced today.
That cut brings the PS4 and Xbox One versions' price in line with the physical last-generation versions of the game. Ground Zeroes will sell for $29.99 on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 at retail, while those versions will cost $19.99 on the PlayStation Store and Xbox Games Store.
Konami said in a press release today that with the price drop, the publisher "aims to provide as many people as possible an opportunity to experience Kojima Productions' Fox Engine and the first installment in the two-part Metal Gear Solid 5 experience." Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes will serve as a relatively short prequel to Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.
With all games on PS4 and Xbox One being released digitally as well as physically, game makers are experimenting with pricing beyond the previous generation's disparity between full-priced, $60 retail titles and smaller downloadable games released for $20 or less. Companies are also varying pricing with two generations of consoles now in full swing, and some titles being released across both. Consider PopCap Games' multiplayer-only shooter, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, which costs $39.99 on Xbox One and $29.99 on Xbox 360 and Windows PC.
all Ground Zeroes players will be able to unlock content that carries over to The Phantom Pain
Konami also announced today that players who buy the first run of Ground Zeroes will receive exclusive add-on content for The Phantom Pain in the form of "additional resources" for a Mother Base area, a key component of The Phantom Pain. The DLC will be available "in the first batch of the retail version and for a limited period of time for the digital version," according to the press release. And all Ground Zeroes players will be able to unlock content that carries over to The Phantom Pain: Prisoners of war and VIPs that players rescue in Ground Zeroes will exist as part of the Mother Base staff in The Phantom Pain.
Finally, Konami is working on a second-screen experience for Ground Zeroes called iDroid, which will allow players to view Big Boss' in-game communications in an iOS, Android or SmartGlass app. Interactivity with the game includes the ability to view maps, call in air support and play cassette tapes found throughout the world.
Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes will be released March 18 on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Check out a platform comparison video for more details.
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- Watch 50-plus minutes of zombie-infested H1Z1 gameplay
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Skullgirls Encore getting its first male character April 22
- Danganronpa 2 coming West on Sept. 2
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- The Elder Scrolls Online's guild bank disabled
- Fenix Fire launches Kickstarter campaign for arcade adventure Source
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- Which platform will you get Dark Souls 2 on?
- The best song in a video game?