Skylanders publisher Activision and Frito-Lay have teamed up for a contest that offers a glimpse at three potential new characters in the action figure/video game's next installment, which is scheduled to be released this year.
The contest allows entrants to choose between three characters — a dragon-like insect, a bat witch and a dolphin pirate, all of which you can see below — and give them a name and a backstory. Judges at Activision and Frito-Lay will select a single entry for each character in May, and voters will then choose from those three names. The winning character will be included in the unnamed Skylanders game and the winner will receive a $100,000 scholarship.
Those interested in participating can sign up at the contest's official site.
Little is known about Skylanders' 2014 version, though Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hershberg revealed that Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure and Skylanders Giants developer Toys for Bob would be developing this year's installment. Last year's game, Skylanders Swap Force, was developed by Vicarious Visions. During its most recent financial disclosure, Activision revealed that the series has generated more than $2 billion in worldwide sales.
For more on the toy/video game hybrid, be sure to read Polygon's feature about Toys for Bob, the studio that created the series, and character designer I-Wei Huang. You can also read our reviews of the last two entries in the series, 2012's Skylanders Giants and 2013's Skylanders Swap Force.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Ultima Forever comes to an end months after closure of EA Mythic
- Sonic fan art expert rates the pornographic potential for Sonic Boom cast
- Police: San Diego Comic-Con cosplayer wasn't assaulted, she fell
- X-Men, Pacific Rim and virtual tornadoes: How Hollywood used Oculus Rift at Comic-Con
- How to lose a game of Stronghold Crusader 2
- This fan-made Super Smash Bros. trailer is amazing ... and a little creepy