Skylanders publisher Activision and Frito-Lay have teamed up for a contest that offers a glimpse at three potential new characters in the action figure/video game's next installment, which is scheduled to be released this year.
The contest allows entrants to choose between three characters — a dragon-like insect, a bat witch and a dolphin pirate, all of which you can see below — and give them a name and a backstory. Judges at Activision and Frito-Lay will select a single entry for each character in May, and voters will then choose from those three names. The winning character will be included in the unnamed Skylanders game and the winner will receive a $100,000 scholarship.
Those interested in participating can sign up at the contest's official site.
Little is known about Skylanders' 2014 version, though Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hershberg revealed that Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure and Skylanders Giants developer Toys for Bob would be developing this year's installment. Last year's game, Skylanders Swap Force, was developed by Vicarious Visions. During its most recent financial disclosure, Activision revealed that the series has generated more than $2 billion in worldwide sales.
For more on the toy/video game hybrid, be sure to read Polygon's feature about Toys for Bob, the studio that created the series, and character designer I-Wei Huang. You can also read our reviews of the last two entries in the series, 2012's Skylanders Giants and 2013's Skylanders Swap Force.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Kickstarter suspends Ex-STALKER devs' Areal campaign, West Games turns to direct funding
- Fan-made Smash Bros. has better characters
- The Walking Dead Season 2: Episode 4 review: existential crisis
- PopCap launching a 'new Peggle game' soon
- Destiny beta returns a day early, now available for Xbox players
- The Crew beta gameplay video - From Detroit to Seattle