Beta testing for Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn on PlayStation 4 is underway, and those playing on PlayStation 3 may be preparing for the big move to next-gen.
If you don't own the game already on PS3, you'll need to purchase a copy for PS4; but PS3 A Realm Reborn players have the option to upgrade to the PS4 version for free. Here's how to make the leap with minimal fuss before the game launches on April 14.
The transfer service will begin on Friday, April 11 for players with the PS3 version of A Realm Reborn. Players will multiple accounts can transfer them all over to the PS4 version. Since all character data including levels, earned items, story and quest progression is stored on Square Enix's servers, all of this will carry over into the PS4 version and be ready to go when players first sign into A Realm Reborn on PS4.
However, player-created data such as in-game macros, saved customized gear sets, item sorting and hotbar data cannot be transferred and is currently not available during the PS4 beta test. This information can be saved for up to eight characters, but players who wish to do so for more than eight will need to update their log in history and perform saves for the characters in phases.
A Square Enix representative confirmed with Polygon that the company is working with Sony to allow A Realm Reborn players to access this data through PlayStation Network servers.
"We are working with Sony to create a flow for users to utilize the PSN servers to save their data and then import it on the PS4 Final Fantasy 14 launcher menu," the representative said.
Users who transfer from PS3 to PS4 will also gain access to A Realm Reborn prior to official launch day. Transferred players can begin playing when the service starts on April 11 and enjoy pre-launch server space until April 13.
Once players transfer to the PS4 version, there's no going back. Activating the game on PS4 will deactivate the PS3 version because users are transferring the play rights for their copy of A Realm Reborn to another machine. Users wanting to play on both consoles will need to purchase separate copies of each version and register them to their Square Enix account. The registration is necessary; this will allow players to switch freely between both consoles at any time. However, users cannot play as the same character on both platforms at the same time.
Data cannot be transferred from the PS3 version to the Windows PC version of A Realm Reborn, nor can data be transferred from the PS4 version back to PS3.
The current beta phase for Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn will end on March 4, with another taking place April 4-7 just ahead of launch. For more details on how the game will utilize the DualShock 4 controller and Remote Play via the PlayStation Vita, check out our interview with director and producer Naoki Yoshida.
- Polygon's Games of the Year 2014 #7: Far Cry 4
- The Interview is the most disappointing movie of 2014
- 2014 in review: Video games are a rich source for fascinating stories
- John Romero's Christmas present is cooler than yours
- Best of the rest of 2014: Threes! is one of the best, and most painful, games of the year
- Playing Elite on the day NASA detailed its mission to Mars
- PSN experiencing some login issues
- Destiny's Cryptarch hopes you get everything you want this holiday ... really
- Lego Wind Waker map will have you busy through New Year's
- Knights of the Old Republic hits Android, $5 for a limited time
- Toradora Christmas Club
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 2463 (Thursday, Dec. 25)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No 5- Terror and Mystery in the Western Frontier
- Clans of Polygon: What's going on in Destiny? (Nov - Dec)
- Pokémon Discussions - Primal Evolution Ain't Cheap
- Polygon Daily: Off-Topic: T'was the Eve Before Christmas ( Wed 24/12 )
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No. 4.1 - 'Tis the Week Before...
- What are your top 25 games of all-time?
- Forbes: You Don't Have To Kill Prostitutes In 'GTA V'
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Two Day Warning (Tuesday, Dec. 23)