Beta testing for Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn on PlayStation 4 is underway, and those playing on PlayStation 3 may be preparing for the big move to next-gen.
If you don't own the game already on PS3, you'll need to purchase a copy for PS4; but PS3 A Realm Reborn players have the option to upgrade to the PS4 version for free. Here's how to make the leap with minimal fuss before the game launches on April 14.
The transfer service will begin on Friday, April 11 for players with the PS3 version of A Realm Reborn. Players will multiple accounts can transfer them all over to the PS4 version. Since all character data including levels, earned items, story and quest progression is stored on Square Enix's servers, all of this will carry over into the PS4 version and be ready to go when players first sign into A Realm Reborn on PS4.
However, player-created data such as in-game macros, saved customized gear sets, item sorting and hotbar data cannot be transferred and is currently not available during the PS4 beta test. This information can be saved for up to eight characters, but players who wish to do so for more than eight will need to update their log in history and perform saves for the characters in phases.
A Square Enix representative confirmed with Polygon that the company is working with Sony to allow A Realm Reborn players to access this data through PlayStation Network servers.
"We are working with Sony to create a flow for users to utilize the PSN servers to save their data and then import it on the PS4 Final Fantasy 14 launcher menu," the representative said.
Users who transfer from PS3 to PS4 will also gain access to A Realm Reborn prior to official launch day. Transferred players can begin playing when the service starts on April 11 and enjoy pre-launch server space until April 13.
Once players transfer to the PS4 version, there's no going back. Activating the game on PS4 will deactivate the PS3 version because users are transferring the play rights for their copy of A Realm Reborn to another machine. Users wanting to play on both consoles will need to purchase separate copies of each version and register them to their Square Enix account. The registration is necessary; this will allow players to switch freely between both consoles at any time. However, users cannot play as the same character on both platforms at the same time.
Data cannot be transferred from the PS3 version to the Windows PC version of A Realm Reborn, nor can data be transferred from the PS4 version back to PS3.
The current beta phase for Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn will end on March 4, with another taking place April 4-7 just ahead of launch. For more details on how the game will utilize the DualShock 4 controller and Remote Play via the PlayStation Vita, check out our interview with director and producer Naoki Yoshida.
- Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell sends the Saints to Hell in 2015
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Is Activision pondering a Take-Two takeover?
- More Dragon Quest games heading to mobile, including the original, very soon
- Themes are coming to Nintendo 3DS to make your old 3DS prettier
- Super Meat Boy Forever is an endless platformer, not a little 'throwaway game'
- Ambitious, beautiful multiplayer space combat game GoD Factory: Wingmen launches today
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor trailer gets cozy with vile Orc
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- how do i cross save olliolli from Vita to ps4
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Nintendo Customer Service
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- On Being A "Gamer"