Sony Computer Entertainment Santa Monica Studio, the developer behind the God of War franchise, was hit with layoffs today, a representative from Sony Computer Entertainment America confirmed to Polygon.
"SCEA can confirm that we have completed a reduction in workforce at Santa Monica Studio," an SCEA statement reads. "This is a result of a cycle of resource re-alignment against priority growth areas within SCE [Worldwide Studios]. We do not take these decisions lightly. However, sometimes it is necessary to make changes to better serve the future projects of the studio. We have offered outplacement services and severance packages to ease transition for those impacted."
SCE Santa Monica is part of Sony's global network of development studios, which also includes SCE Japan Studio, SCE London Studio as well as Uncharted and The Last of Us developer Naughty Dog and LittleBigPlanet and Tearaway developer Media Molecule.
Founded in 1999, little is known about the California developer's next project. In March 2013, God of War: Ascension lead designer Mark Simon said he wasn't sure what the studio would work on after the game's release. Screenwriter Michael Angeli, whose credits include Battlestar Galactica and Dark Angel, said last July that he's working on an unannounced project at SCE Santa Monica. Last August, God of War 2 director Cory Balrog returned to the studio. In November, God of War: Ascension director Todd Papy departed the studio and later joined Crytek.
SCE Santa Monica also partners with other smaller studios, including Hohokum developer Honeyslug, Journey developer thatgamecompany, The Order: 1886 developer Ready at Dawn Studios and The Unfinished Swan developer Giant Sparrow.
"The saddest & most important part is the game I was creating for the player that will never be played," he wrote. "I'm sorry that I've failed you."
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- MLB The Show's neatest trick was not as easy as it looks
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- SOE president says H1Z1 makers are 'fans and contributors' of DayZ
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Art exhibit blends video games with religious iconography
- Freddi Fish, Pajama Sam and Humongous Entertainment return to PC on Steam
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Tales of Hearts R to launch in North America late this year
- See The Fifth Element imagined as a 16-bit video game
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- Game contoller for PC
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Is Polygon Live discontinued?