Sony Computer Entertainment Santa Monica Studio, the developer behind the God of War franchise, was hit with layoffs today, a representative from Sony Computer Entertainment America confirmed to Polygon.
"SCEA can confirm that we have completed a reduction in workforce at Santa Monica Studio," an SCEA statement reads. "This is a result of a cycle of resource re-alignment against priority growth areas within SCE [Worldwide Studios]. We do not take these decisions lightly. However, sometimes it is necessary to make changes to better serve the future projects of the studio. We have offered outplacement services and severance packages to ease transition for those impacted."
SCE Santa Monica is part of Sony's global network of development studios, which also includes SCE Japan Studio, SCE London Studio as well as Uncharted and The Last of Us developer Naughty Dog and LittleBigPlanet and Tearaway developer Media Molecule.
Founded in 1999, little is known about the California developer's next project. In March 2013, God of War: Ascension lead designer Mark Simon said he wasn't sure what the studio would work on after the game's release. Screenwriter Michael Angeli, whose credits include Battlestar Galactica and Dark Angel, said last July that he's working on an unannounced project at SCE Santa Monica. Last August, God of War 2 director Cory Balrog returned to the studio. In November, God of War: Ascension director Todd Papy departed the studio and later joined Crytek.
SCE Santa Monica also partners with other smaller studios, including Hohokum developer Honeyslug, Journey developer thatgamecompany, The Order: 1886 developer Ready at Dawn Studios and The Unfinished Swan developer Giant Sparrow.
"The saddest & most important part is the game I was creating for the player that will never be played," he wrote. "I'm sorry that I've failed you."
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Dragon Quest Heroes brings the series back to PlayStation in Dynasty Warriors style
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- State of Decay dev's latest project is like the online Pokémon game you've always wanted
- VR school girls? When a Pokemon fighting game isn't the weirdest project from Bandai Namco
- Here's the first trailer for the new Resident Evil 1 remake
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4
- Themes are coming to PlayStation 4 and PS Vita
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?
- Help Nipah build a PC