Sony Computer Entertainment Santa Monica Studio, the developer behind the God of War franchise, was hit with layoffs today, a representative from Sony Computer Entertainment America confirmed to Polygon.
"SCEA can confirm that we have completed a reduction in workforce at Santa Monica Studio," an SCEA statement reads. "This is a result of a cycle of resource re-alignment against priority growth areas within SCE [Worldwide Studios]. We do not take these decisions lightly. However, sometimes it is necessary to make changes to better serve the future projects of the studio. We have offered outplacement services and severance packages to ease transition for those impacted."
SCE Santa Monica is part of Sony's global network of development studios, which also includes SCE Japan Studio, SCE London Studio as well as Uncharted and The Last of Us developer Naughty Dog and LittleBigPlanet and Tearaway developer Media Molecule.
Founded in 1999, little is known about the California developer's next project. In March 2013, God of War: Ascension lead designer Mark Simon said he wasn't sure what the studio would work on after the game's release. Screenwriter Michael Angeli, whose credits include Battlestar Galactica and Dark Angel, said last July that he's working on an unannounced project at SCE Santa Monica. Last August, God of War 2 director Cory Balrog returned to the studio. In November, God of War: Ascension director Todd Papy departed the studio and later joined Crytek.
SCE Santa Monica also partners with other smaller studios, including Hohokum developer Honeyslug, Journey developer thatgamecompany, The Order: 1886 developer Ready at Dawn Studios and The Unfinished Swan developer Giant Sparrow.
"The saddest & most important part is the game I was creating for the player that will never be played," he wrote. "I'm sorry that I've failed you."
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Why a deal between Netflix and Comcast matters to gamers
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Persona 4 Arena Ultimax will include story DLC, RPG-like arena mode
- Investors put up millions for a virtual reality treadmill and now it could come to consoles
- Minecraft Realms now available in North America
- Metal Gear Ground Zeroes platform-exclusive missions go multiplatform in Japan May 1
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Mario Kart 8 Wii U bundle, Peach and Yoshi Wii Remotes hitting Europe May 30
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Twitch Stream: Titanfall (One Match)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 2sday (Tue 22 April)