Players of the massively multiplayer streaming phenomenon known as Twitch Plays Pokemon have earned the eighth and final badge in Pokemon Red and are heading into the game's final stages.
Twitch Plays Pokemon is the work of an anonymous Australian programmer who set out to create an alternate version of SaltyBet, a Twitch stream that focuses on viewer interaction. In Twitch Plays Pokemon, viewers input chat commands to control the game or initiate its newly added anarchy or democracy modes. Anarchy enables chat-based commands to be input immediately, while democracy allows users to vote and act collectively.
Players have captured 29 Pokemon and seen 118 over the course of about two weeks. Opposing players have released 21 Pokemon, 12 of which were lost during day 10, also known by the community as "Bloody Sunday." With Viridian gym leader Giovanni defeated, all that remains for players is to best the Elite Four — the game's most powerful trainers — and their rival. The current lineup includes a Zapdos, Lapras and Omanyte, which was revived from its fossil form on day 11.
A document tracking the stream's progress is currently holding a poll on whether or not players should return to Cinnabar Island to level before facing the Elite Four.
Twitch Plays Pokemon has skyrocketed to more than 30 million views total and more than 10 million button presses from 600,000 unique visitors. Since its inception, Twitch Plays Pokemon has spawned several copycats, including Twitch Plays Pokemon Plays Tetris, Twitch Plays Pokemon: Crystal Version and, recently, Twitch Plays The Legend of Zelda.
Watch the stream for Twitch Plays Pokemon below, or check out our episode of Friends List for more of the highlights.
- Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell sends the Saints to Hell in 2015
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Grand Theft Auto 5's PC version will get an updated soundtrack
- Tales from the Borderlands lets you stop and smell the chaotic roses
- Hironobu Sakaguchi wanted Chrono Trigger to evolve in a series 'like a Final Fantasy'
- Peggle 2 is coming to PlayStation 4
- Is Activision pondering a Take-Two takeover?
- More Dragon Quest games heading to mobile, including the original, very soon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- I'm going to make an AMV...and I need your help.
- How's this PC for next gen?
- Stronger distinction of Recommended posts/comments
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29