Players of the massively multiplayer streaming phenomenon known as Twitch Plays Pokemon have earned the eighth and final badge in Pokemon Red and are heading into the game's final stages.
Twitch Plays Pokemon is the work of an anonymous Australian programmer who set out to create an alternate version of SaltyBet, a Twitch stream that focuses on viewer interaction. In Twitch Plays Pokemon, viewers input chat commands to control the game or initiate its newly added anarchy or democracy modes. Anarchy enables chat-based commands to be input immediately, while democracy allows users to vote and act collectively.
Players have captured 29 Pokemon and seen 118 over the course of about two weeks. Opposing players have released 21 Pokemon, 12 of which were lost during day 10, also known by the community as "Bloody Sunday." With Viridian gym leader Giovanni defeated, all that remains for players is to best the Elite Four — the game's most powerful trainers — and their rival. The current lineup includes a Zapdos, Lapras and Omanyte, which was revived from its fossil form on day 11.
A document tracking the stream's progress is currently holding a poll on whether or not players should return to Cinnabar Island to level before facing the Elite Four.
Twitch Plays Pokemon has skyrocketed to more than 30 million views total and more than 10 million button presses from 600,000 unique visitors. Since its inception, Twitch Plays Pokemon has spawned several copycats, including Twitch Plays Pokemon Plays Tetris, Twitch Plays Pokemon: Crystal Version and, recently, Twitch Plays The Legend of Zelda.
Watch the stream for Twitch Plays Pokemon below, or check out our episode of Friends List for more of the highlights.
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- When a successful game is a failure
- Report: R.B.I. Baseball 14 to launch on April 10
- Prepare to run Dark Souls 2 with the PC version's system requirements
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- The Besties: The Best Games of February 2014
- Hack into Nedry's Jurassic Park security system
- Goofball Goals - Overview video
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- XBOne Classifieds
- Is there anyone who doesnt like Titanfall?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules