"Someone is trying leak the fact that we're working with Warner Brothers on a potential Minecraft Movie," said Persson. "I wanted to be the leak!"
Shortly afterward, Persson confirmed the announcement in an email to Polygon.
"It's for real. I think every part of that tweet was real, including me wanting to be the one to spill the news about a potential movie," said Persson.
He added, parenthetically, "Also, I [am] very well aware that this might be Minecraft jumping the shark, but how often do you get to be part of making a movie?" Earlier this month, Mojang shut down the Kickstarter for a Minecraft fan film.
Deadline reports that Warner Bros. acquired the rights from Mojang, and that the studio is working on a live-action film with Roy Lee and Jill Messick as producers. Lee is well-acquainted with licensed films about block-based properties, having most recently produced The Lego Movie. Persson told Polygon that he did not want to comment on the contract for the Minecraft film rights or on personnel that Warner Bros. may be hiring.
Earlier this week, Persson announced on Twitter that the original Minecraft had reached 100 million registered users. Mojang has sold more than 14 million copies of Minecraft on computers, more than 10 million on Xbox 360, more than 1 million on PlayStation 3 and more than 10 million on mobile devices.
- How video games can change the world, one child at a time
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Why a deal between Netflix and Comcast matters to gamers
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Tabletop Simulator - Overview video
- Unreal Engine 4 updated with PS4, Xbox One, Linux and SteamOS support
- Child of Light's creators discuss the birth of Aurora and her fairytale journey
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Titanfall's Expedition DLC offers a 'parkour playground' with the 'War Games' map
- Soulcalibur: Lost Swords launch delayed for some due to technical issues
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)