Microsoft will roll out the first system update for Xbox One next week, the company announced today, bringing oft-requested features — including better content and storage management — and other improvements to the console on Feb. 11.
That update will be followed by a second update in March to prepare the Xbox One for what may be the platform's biggest game to date.
In addition to some "behind-the-scenes updates" for developers, next week's Xbox One system update will make managing the content on your console, a key complaint in our Xbox One review, easier. Console owners will finally be able to see how much storage space is being used by games and apps and control their install lineup. Xbox One owners will be able to manage their download queue, thanks to separate My Games and My Apps queues. The option to choose what content loads first and a boot progress indicator are also included in the update.
The February update also adds a battery power indicator to the home screen and support for USB keyboards.
Microsoft also promises system stability updates and improvements to the quality of Kinect voice commands, but wasn't specific about what that means for Xbox One owners. Microsoft's Marc Whitten hinted at other unannounced features arriving in the February update, saying the company has "several surprises in store that we think you'll love."
The Xbox One's second system update, due March 4, will be released in anticipation of Respawn Entertainment's Titanfall. The update will include "many new features and improvements, most significantly to [Xbox One's] party and multiplayer systems." Titanfall is due March 11 on Xbox One and other platforms.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)
- How to make "South Park:Stick of Truth" more like Final Fantasy
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Batman Returns (Wed 5 Mar)