The next Sonic the Hedgehog game, Sonic Boom for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, will be developed by a pair of Western studios, Sega announced today, and deliver a "fresh approach that will be at once both familiar and new" for Sonic and his friends, Tails, Amy and Knuckles.
The Wii U and 3DS games will be based on Sonic Boom, a new franchise in the Sonic universe that will extend into television, gaming, merchandise and more. Sega of America's senior director for marketing Marchello Churchill said the new take on Sonic won't replace modern Sonic, but will take "the franchise to another level."
Sonic Boom is the third title in Sega's exclusive deal with Nintendo and promises to take advantage of the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS hardware. In addition to featuring Sonic the Hedgehog's traditional sense of speed, Sonic Boom will introduce a new "Enerbeam" mechanic that will allow players to explore the game's world in unique ways.
The Wii U version of the game will be developed by Los Angeles-based studio Big Red Button and will focus on combat and exploration. Developed using CryEngine 3, the title will "operate in harmony with the television series and act as a prequel to the series." Big Red Button CEO Bob Raffei said the game will be "a very different Sonic, both in tone and art direction."
San Francisco-based studio Sanzaru Games will develop the 3DS version of the title. The game will feature slightly different content on each platform, with the 3DS version having different environments and enemies to the Wii U version.
Both titles are being developed in collaboration with Sonic Team, Sega said in an announcement.
In addition to the video game, Sega is collaborating with OuiDo! Productions to create a CG television series based on Sonic Boom. The series is expected to air in North America on Cartoon Network during the 2014-2015 season. The series will contain 52 episodes that are each 11 minutes long.
With additional reporting from Alexa Ray Corriea.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dungeons & Dragons castle defense game coming to mobile next year
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- People watched Twitch Plays Pokémon for a billion minutes
- In Firewatch, the job isn't to keep the wilderness from burning down
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Tearaway started life as a fleshy finger game
- Longtime Castlevania producer leaves Konami
- Grand Theft Auto 5's PC version will get an updated soundtrack
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Calling all first team Polygon staff to the Set!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- What is your Current Game of the Year?