The next Sonic the Hedgehog game, Sonic Boom for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, will be developed by a pair of Western studios, Sega announced today, and deliver a "fresh approach that will be at once both familiar and new" for Sonic and his friends, Tails, Amy and Knuckles.
The Wii U and 3DS games will be based on Sonic Boom, a new franchise in the Sonic universe that will extend into television, gaming, merchandise and more. Sega of America's senior director for marketing Marchello Churchill said the new take on Sonic won't replace modern Sonic, but will take "the franchise to another level."
Sonic Boom is the third title in Sega's exclusive deal with Nintendo and promises to take advantage of the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS hardware. In addition to featuring Sonic the Hedgehog's traditional sense of speed, Sonic Boom will introduce a new "Enerbeam" mechanic that will allow players to explore the game's world in unique ways.
The Wii U version of the game will be developed by Los Angeles-based studio Big Red Button and will focus on combat and exploration. Developed using CryEngine 3, the title will "operate in harmony with the television series and act as a prequel to the series." Big Red Button CEO Bob Raffei said the game will be "a very different Sonic, both in tone and art direction."
San Francisco-based studio Sanzaru Games will develop the 3DS version of the title. The game will feature slightly different content on each platform, with the 3DS version having different environments and enemies to the Wii U version.
Both titles are being developed in collaboration with Sonic Team, Sega said in an announcement.
In addition to the video game, Sega is collaborating with OuiDo! Productions to create a CG television series based on Sonic Boom. The series is expected to air in North America on Cartoon Network during the 2014-2015 season. The series will contain 52 episodes that are each 11 minutes long.
With additional reporting from Alexa Ray Corriea.
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Play Mass Effect 3's ultimate space battle with this Homeworld 2 mod
- MLB The Show's neatest trick was not as easy as it looks
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- A look back on Harvest Moon, the unlikely console farming simulator
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- Two more videos show off Ultra Street Fighter 4's characters, opening cinematic
- Easter eggs? Here are two in Garden Warfare — including the Slender Man
- See Star Citizen's dogfighting, and more, in action
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Does anyone else's NBA 2K14 audio cut out?
- Game contoller for PC
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Connect: The Great "Gamertag/PSN ID/Whatever" Roundup
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!