The confirmed lineup for Evolution 2014, an annual fighting game tournament, will feature six games in its competition lineup, Evo's Joey "Mr Wizard" Cuellar announced on a Twitch TV stream today.
The competition's confirmed lineup currently includes:
1. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
2. Ultra Street Fighter 4
3. Injustice: Gods Among Us
4. The King of Fighters 13
5. Killer Instinct
6. BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma
Cuellar announced on the iPlayWinner stream that they are in talks with Nintendo regarding the inclusion of Super Smash Bros. Melee to the Evo 2014 lineup.
"While we are engaged in preliminary discussions with Evo about their upcoming event in July, the potential role of any Nintendo software at this event is undetermined at this time," Nintendo said in a statement issued to Shoryuken.
Plans to livestream Super Smash Bros. Melee from Evo 2013 were initially cancelled as Nintendo of America denied the organizers permission to broadcast the game online. Cuellar revealed a few days later that Nintendo had initially tried to shut down Evo's Smash event, not just the streaming portion of the tournament.
Evo is the largest international fighting game tournament in the world, where last year's fighters competed in a range of fighting titles from Super Smash Bros. Melee to Super Street Fighter 4. DM MCZ Xian won the Super Street Fighter 4 world championship during the Evo 2013 grand finals last year, defeating MCZ Tokido.
This year's Evo will take place at the LVH Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas from July 11-13, with discounted hotel rates available from the official booking site. Microsoft's Xbox 360 will be the tournament's main platform, but the event won't be Xbox 360 exclusive. To get a taste of the event's action and atmosphere, check out our photos from Evo 2013.
- Link, F-Zero and Animal Crossing are coming to Mario Kart 8 as DLC
- The Walking Dead Season 2 Finale review: can't go home again
- The Wii U is actually worth buying now
- Forza Horizon 2 offers Xbox One demo on Sept. 16
- Gauntlet reboot release date pushed back to Sept. 23
- OlliOlli now available on PS3 and PS4
- Republicans launch platform game to aid election push
- Lindsay Lohan lawsuit against GTA 5 publisher was 'for publicity,' says court documents
- The Pokemon fighting game won't play like Tekken (or feature Tekken characters)
- Multiplayer comes to Dragon Age with Inquisition's 4-player co-op mode
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 27
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me senpai!
- On Patreon support
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- Polygon must change its ethics policy.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 26
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall