The confirmed lineup for Evolution 2014, an annual fighting game tournament, will feature six games in its competition lineup, Evo's Joey "Mr Wizard" Cuellar announced on a Twitch TV stream today.
The competition's confirmed lineup currently includes:
1. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
2. Ultra Street Fighter 4
3. Injustice: Gods Among Us
4. The King of Fighters 13
5. Killer Instinct
6. BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma
Cuellar announced on the iPlayWinner stream that they are in talks with Nintendo regarding the inclusion of Super Smash Bros. Melee to the Evo 2014 lineup.
"While we are engaged in preliminary discussions with Evo about their upcoming event in July, the potential role of any Nintendo software at this event is undetermined at this time," Nintendo said in a statement issued to Shoryuken.
Plans to livestream Super Smash Bros. Melee from Evo 2013 were initially cancelled as Nintendo of America denied the organizers permission to broadcast the game online. Cuellar revealed a few days later that Nintendo had initially tried to shut down Evo's Smash event, not just the streaming portion of the tournament.
Evo is the largest international fighting game tournament in the world, where last year's fighters competed in a range of fighting titles from Super Smash Bros. Melee to Super Street Fighter 4. DM MCZ Xian won the Super Street Fighter 4 world championship during the Evo 2013 grand finals last year, defeating MCZ Tokido.
This year's Evo will take place at the LVH Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas from July 11-13, with discounted hotel rates available from the official booking site. Microsoft's Xbox 360 will be the tournament's main platform, but the event won't be Xbox 360 exclusive. To get a taste of the event's action and atmosphere, check out our photos from Evo 2013.
- Titanfall review: my buddy
- Street Fighter: The Movie — What went wrong
- BioShock Infinite Elizabeth Noir statue can be pre-ordered for $250
- Tower of Guns - Overview video
- Titanfall's achievement lies in allowing the player to find fun in failure
- How Hohokum's 'inspirational playlist' turned into a soundtrack
- Pokémon Honedge created by Man at Arms
- The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 launches April 17
- Ubisoft Toronto is developing five unannounced projects
- Warlords of Draenor launching this fall, digital pre-orders open
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepared for Titanfall? (Mon 10 Mar)
- WTB physical DS2 for PC in US
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Getting a PS4
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Polygon v1.9 - Article Redesign