The confirmed lineup for Evolution 2014, an annual fighting game tournament, will feature six games in its competition lineup, Evo's Joey "Mr Wizard" Cuellar announced on a Twitch TV stream today.
The competition's confirmed lineup currently includes:
1. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
2. Ultra Street Fighter 4
3. Injustice: Gods Among Us
4. The King of Fighters 13
5. Killer Instinct
6. BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma
Cuellar announced on the iPlayWinner stream that they are in talks with Nintendo regarding the inclusion of Super Smash Bros. Melee to the Evo 2014 lineup.
"While we are engaged in preliminary discussions with Evo about their upcoming event in July, the potential role of any Nintendo software at this event is undetermined at this time," Nintendo said in a statement issued to Shoryuken.
Plans to livestream Super Smash Bros. Melee from Evo 2013 were initially cancelled as Nintendo of America denied the organizers permission to broadcast the game online. Cuellar revealed a few days later that Nintendo had initially tried to shut down Evo's Smash event, not just the streaming portion of the tournament.
Evo is the largest international fighting game tournament in the world, where last year's fighters competed in a range of fighting titles from Super Smash Bros. Melee to Super Street Fighter 4. DM MCZ Xian won the Super Street Fighter 4 world championship during the Evo 2013 grand finals last year, defeating MCZ Tokido.
This year's Evo will take place at the LVH Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas from July 11-13, with discounted hotel rates available from the official booking site. Microsoft's Xbox 360 will be the tournament's main platform, but the event won't be Xbox 360 exclusive. To get a taste of the event's action and atmosphere, check out our photos from Evo 2013.
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- MLB The Show's neatest trick was not as easy as it looks
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- SOE president says H1Z1 makers are 'fans and contributors' of DayZ
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Art exhibit blends video games with religious iconography
- Freddi Fish, Pajama Sam and Humongous Entertainment return to PC on Steam
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- Tales of Hearts R to launch in North America late this year
- See The Fifth Element imagined as a 16-bit video game
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- Game contoller for PC
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Is Polygon Live discontinued?