I am sorry 'Flappy Bird' users, 22 hours from now, I will take 'Flappy Bird' down. I cannot take this anymore.— Dong Nguyen (@dongatory) February 8, 2014
It is not anything related to legal issues. I just cannot keep it anymore.— Dong Nguyen (@dongatory) February 8, 2014
Nguyen later tweeted that he didn't sell Flappy Bird and will continue to make games. The game maker's decision comes one day after the title was updated to include new birds and new UI elements. The update also removed a "share" button from Flappy Bird's "game over" screen.
Since its release, the mobile title has been downloaded more than 50 million times. It pulls in an average of $50,000 in ad revenue a day. Flappy Bird features minimalistic controls and requires players to shoot a bird through a maze of pipes.
Flappy Bird's surprise success drew allegations that Nguyen employed bots to boost the game's ranking in Apple's App Store. When asked about those allegations, Nguyen told a Newsweek reporter on Twitter, "It doesn't matter. Don't you think? If I did fake it, should Apple let it live for months?"
Nguyen said earlier this week he did not want attention from the media, tweeting, "Press people are overrating the success of my games. It is something I never want. Please give me peace."
We've reached out to Nguyen for comment and will update accordingly. For more on Flappy Bird, check out our discussion of the game on Friends List.
Update: Flappy Bird is no longer available on Google Play or the App Store.
- How Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition tricked us into playing Diablo 3 again
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Development hell: The video game
- Sexual conquest and emotional connections in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- Buy side-scroller Azure Striker Gunvolt on 3DS, get 8-bit throwback Mighty Gunvolt free
- Which games company do developers most want to work for?
- Caped crusader goes kinda nuts in new Lego Batman 3 trailer
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare isn't coming to Wii U
- Mad Max developer working on 'surprises,' possibly Just Cause 3
- Want to save time and money? Stop buying games at launch
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us
- Polygon Video Player - What's the deal?
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Metro Redux: Will It Be A Must Purchase?
- Could Nintendo go third party?