Titanfall will run at 792p resolution — the same as last month's beta phase — when it launches tomorrow, though developer Respawn is looking for a post-launch solution to bump this up, lead engineer Richard Baker told Eurogamer.
Last month, Respawn community manager Abbie Heppe said the game's beta ran at 792p, noting the resolution would be increased as launch approached and would likely settle around 900p native resolution. Baker said Respawn has been "experimenting" with both higher and lower resolutions for Titanfall.
"The target is either 1080p non-anti-aliased or 900p with FXAA," Baker said, referencing techniques used to make games perform better and render faster. "We're trying to optimize...we don't want to give up anything for higher res. So far we're not 100 percent happy with any of the options, we're still working on it. For day one it's not going to change. We're still looking at it for post-day one. We're likely to increase resolution after we ship.
"A lot of the performance is on the GPU side," he added. "There's still room for optimization and we're still working on it. Ideally it would have been a rock-solid 60 [fps] all the time when we shipped but obviously when there's big fights going on, lots of particle effects, lots of physics objects... we're still working to condense the systems, make them more parallel so we can hit 60 all the time, ideally."
Baker did confirm that players will see some increase in performance in the version that launches tomorrow, based on changes and optimizations made to the title after the completion of last month's beta phase.
Respawn's Titanfall launches tomorrow for Xbox One and Windows PC, with the Xbox 360 version hitting March 25 — check out Polygon's review for more details. A season pass will be available for the game at $24.99 and will include three additional map packs. Titanfall will also launch alongside the integration of streaming and broadcast platform Twitch on Xbox One.
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Play Settlers of Catan Anytime thanks to HTML 5
- How cows predicted the seedy underbelly of social gaming
- Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode screens go from brutal to kawaii
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection will keep the games' original multiplayer glitches
- It takes 40 minutes to drive across country in The Crew, watch it happen right here
- Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom announced, has kind of a Zelda vibe
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Really Horrible
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- PLAYSTATION WONT SIGN IN
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders