Evolution Studios' upcoming racing game, DriveClub, has gone "back to the drawing board" to ensure a high quality release, PlayStation software product development head Scott Rohde told IGN.
Originally announced as a launch title during the PlayStation 4 unveiling last February, DriveClub was delayed to 2014 in the West and removed as a PS4 launch title in Japan. Speaking with IGN, Rohde said that Sony is "willing to kinda eat that [cost]" that comes with pushing back a big title.
"What I will say is that it all comes back to that fundamental principle, and that's that we want to build great games," Rohde said. "And we really don't want to release a game before it's ready. And sometimes, this happens in the normal course of business, where we think we're on track to deliver what we think is going to be a great game, and when we get closer, we realize that we'd be doing everyone a disservice if we shipped it before it was ready."
Rohde would not comment on the validity of the game's previous delay date of 2014, stating that Sony is not currently announcing specifics on the game's launch.
DriveClub will be added to the Instant Game Collection once released. The PlayStation Plus edition will include the option to pay and upgrade to the full version, which includes the full roster of cars and tracks.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Ultima Forever comes to an end months after closure of EA Mythic
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- RIP Friends List?
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Wait. Could the iPad Mini be a better gaming handheld than the PSVita?