Plants vs. Zombies studio PopCap Games laid off an unspecified number of employees today, the studio confirmed in a statement to Polygon.
"The changes we made today at PopCap were painful and we're sorry to lose some of our friends and colleagues. But it was also necessary in order to stay on course with our future plans for mobile games, live services and new IP. PopCap is a studio that made its name building great games that the world can fall in love with, and that's what we'll continue to do," said John Vechey, PopCap's general manager.
When asked for details regarding the scope of the layoffs, a representative for Electronic Arts, PopCap's parent company, told Polygon, "We don't disclose numbers." The spokesperson clarified that PopCap HD — the Garden Warfare team, which consisted of about 40 people during the game's development — was unaffected by the cuts, and said there are "no changes to announce with regard to PopCap titles."
Vechey, who is a co-founder of PopCap, took the top position at the studio as general manager earlier this year, after CEO Dave Roberts retired. Other recent games from PopCap, which was acquired by EA in 2011, include Peggle 2 in December. In April 2013, EA closed the Vancouver, Canada, branch of PopCap.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Police: San Diego Comic-Con cosplayer wasn't assaulted, she fell
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Wait. Could the iPad Mini be a better gaming handheld than the PSVita?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- Stopping non article videos from auto playing.
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites