A remake of Abe's Exoddus will be developed if 250,000 copies of New 'n' Tasty are sold, Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning told Eurogamer at GDC, adding half a million units will ensure the development of an all new Oddworld game after that.
"If I'm doing a new Oddworld game, I'm not going to do it for $2 million. I might do it for five or six," he told Eurogamer. "People keep asking me, 'Why don't you Kickstart Oddworld? You could get at least $1 or $2 million.' And I'm like 'What would I do with a couple million on Kickstarter? On a new Oddworld title?' Not much. I could redo Exoddus for a couple million. I could do that. But a new title, which means new characters doing new things and controls that are great — that's where the real time and expenses come from."
Lanning used the The Brutal Ballad of Fangus Klot as an example, saying that it isn't "less than a $5 million title" to develop and to Kickstart it "would be a little deceptive and a risk." He added that doing a conversion of an existing game is easier but developing an Oddworld title for a couple million dollars isn't possible.
Lanning, who said last October that there were "two different possibilities" under consideration for future projects, would like to develop The Brutal Ballad of Fangus Klot after the Exoddus remake. He has designed The Brutal Ballad of Fangus Klot "extensively" for the past year and a half, but it is not confirmed as the next original Oddworld title if enough funds are raised.
"But no matter what, Exoddus would come first. And then we'd get into expansion packs for those titles," he said.
Oddworld Inhabitants worked with developer Just Add Water on Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New 'n Tasty and ports of Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. New 'n Tasty is slated to launch in 2014 on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, Wii U, Windows PC, Mac and Linux.
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'
- League of Legends World Championship poised to sell out 45K seat stadium
- State of Decay dev's latest project is like the online Pokémon game you've always wanted
- VR school girls? When a Pokemon fighting game isn't the weirdest project from Bandai Namco
- Here's the first trailer for the new Resident Evil 1 remake