Pokemon Crystal was originally released in Japan on the Game Boy Color in December 2000, and came to North America in July 2001. It is an updated version of the second set of Pokémon titles, Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver, which launched in Japan and North America in November 1999 and October 2000, respectively.
Twitch began playing Pokémon Crystal at 7 a.m. ET today. As of this writing, more than 82,000 people are watching the stream on Twitch, and they're currently playing the game in "democracy" mode rather than "anarchy" mode. The channel turns comments in the Twitch chat into the following game commands: the four D-pad directions, select, start, A and B. In democracy mode, the channel picks a button input based on the most popular command provided during the preceding 30 seconds.
For more on the Twitch Plays Pokémon phenomenon, check out our interview with the channel's anonymous creator. You can watch the ongoing livestream below.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- Do low game prices spell a 'mass extinction' for game developers?
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- Pokémon's Slowpoke has its own official reggae song
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- I've experienced the Pokémon World Championships, and you should too
- Games with great Sound Design