Pokemon Crystal was originally released in Japan on the Game Boy Color in December 2000, and came to North America in July 2001. It is an updated version of the second set of Pokémon titles, Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver, which launched in Japan and North America in November 1999 and October 2000, respectively.
Twitch began playing Pokémon Crystal at 7 a.m. ET today. As of this writing, more than 82,000 people are watching the stream on Twitch, and they're currently playing the game in "democracy" mode rather than "anarchy" mode. The channel turns comments in the Twitch chat into the following game commands: the four D-pad directions, select, start, A and B. In democracy mode, the channel picks a button input based on the most popular command provided during the preceding 30 seconds.
For more on the Twitch Plays Pokémon phenomenon, check out our interview with the channel's anonymous creator. You can watch the ongoing livestream below.
- Dwarf Fortress will crush your CPU because creating history is hard
- In the face of recent wins, Nintendo's lack of online functions is no longer forgivable
- This is the most accurate Pokémon trailer you'll ever watch
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- Launching Civilization: Beyond Earth
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- 25 character code not working on Xbox1
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?