Pokemon Crystal was originally released in Japan on the Game Boy Color in December 2000, and came to North America in July 2001. It is an updated version of the second set of Pokémon titles, Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver, which launched in Japan and North America in November 1999 and October 2000, respectively.
Twitch began playing Pokémon Crystal at 7 a.m. ET today. As of this writing, more than 82,000 people are watching the stream on Twitch, and they're currently playing the game in "democracy" mode rather than "anarchy" mode. The channel turns comments in the Twitch chat into the following game commands: the four D-pad directions, select, start, A and B. In democracy mode, the channel picks a button input based on the most popular command provided during the preceding 30 seconds.
For more on the Twitch Plays Pokémon phenomenon, check out our interview with the channel's anonymous creator. You can watch the ongoing livestream below.
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- Deep Silver buys Homefront from Crytek, moves Homefront: The Revolution to new studio
- Deadpool's Hollywood screen test begins with Gwen Stefani, ends with a decapitated head
- Ex-Silicon Knights dev sentenced in child pornography case, charged with sexual assault
- NIS America to make its GaymerX payment 'in full,' conference founder apologizes
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- PS+ & Stryder
- Tell Us Your Story
- What's your favorite silly game?
- RIP Friends List?
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites