Around 15 percent of PlayStation 4 owners have also purchased a PlayStation Camera with the new console, according to Sony Computer Entertainment America, and the camera accessory remains in short supply at many retailers.
Chris Norden, senior staff developer support engineer at SCEA, mentioned the 15 percent attach rate at his GDC 2014 talk, Creating Unique Interactive Experiences with the PlayStation 4, putting sales at about 900,000. Sony announced in March that it had sold 6 million PS4 consoles worldwide since its launch in November.
The PlayStation Camera has been hard to find at retail, leading some retailers, like GameStop, and third-party sellers to list the camera above its suggested retail price of $59. Norden said the camera is "severely supply constrained" and asked that PS4 owners be patient as Sony works to replenish supply.
The PS4 camera is a core component of Sony's virtual reality headset, Project Morpheus, which it unveiled at this week's Game Developers Conference.
In This StoryStream
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Polygon Video Player - What's the deal?
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Metro Redux: Will It Be A Must Purchase?
- Could Nintendo go third party?
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall