Ubisoft's next Far Cry game will take place in a locale with much lower temperatures and much higher elevation than the jungle settings of the existing titles in the franchise: the Himalayas, according to a report from Eurogamer.
Citing "people familiar with the project," Eurogamer reports that the new setting will feature a variety of environments aside from snow-capped mountains, and will allow for new types of gameplay like riding elephants. Gaming industry sleuth Superannuation initially reported the Himalayan setting last month; that tweet also mentioned the possibility of monsters in the game. The mythical yeti is said to roam around the world's highest mountains.
According to Eurogamer, Far Cry 4 will feature similar gameplay to the action in the most recent entries in the Far Cry franchise, 2012's Far Cry 3 and 2013's Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon: a large world map with outposts for the player to liberate. Eurogamer's sources indicate that Far Cry 4 is in development on PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One, and that Ubisoft plans to reveal the game at E3 this June. In addition, says Eurogamer, Ubisoft is aiming to release Far Cry 4 during the company's next fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2015.
We've reached out to Ubisoft for comment, and will update this article with any information we receive.
Update: A Ubisoft spokesperson told Polygon, "We have no comments on rumors or speculation."
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- Endless Legend seeks the perfect imbalance to keep players exploring and exterminating
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Bungie pays up $95K to the composer behind Halo
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22
- Destiny Beta
- I just want a gritty mature MOBA
- Polygon YouTube Channel
- Thoughts on Destiny