In what would seem a natural pairing to fans of both series, Riot Games and HBO are kicking off a promotional campaign today joining the network's Game of Thrones series and the studio's powerhouse League of Legends franchise.
The three-week campaign precedes Game of Thrones' season four premiere on April 6, reports [a]listdaily, which spoke to Dustin Beck, the vice president of eSports and merchandising for Riot.
"We got a cold call from HBO because they thought that there was going to be a great overlap between our players and their demographic of people that watch Game of Thrones and this was a good way to explore reaching that demographic through new media," Beck told [a]listdaily.
That means Game of Thrones will see League of Legends logos and takeover ads on the show's official site. Beck hinted that a mash-up trailer also is in the works.
"We've done a lot of player surveys to see what our fans like and dislike and I think a lot of the discussion and strategies going forward that we have are going to cater to our fan base," Beck said. "We want to make sure that any activations that we do are super authentic to our fans and that we're not working with brands that aren't going to have any value to our players."
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)