In what would seem a natural pairing to fans of both series, Riot Games and HBO are kicking off a promotional campaign today joining the network's Game of Thrones series and the studio's powerhouse League of Legends franchise.
The three-week campaign precedes Game of Thrones' season four premiere on April 6, reports [a]listdaily, which spoke to Dustin Beck, the vice president of eSports and merchandising for Riot.
"We got a cold call from HBO because they thought that there was going to be a great overlap between our players and their demographic of people that watch Game of Thrones and this was a good way to explore reaching that demographic through new media," Beck told [a]listdaily.
That means Game of Thrones will see League of Legends logos and takeover ads on the show's official site. Beck hinted that a mash-up trailer also is in the works.
"We've done a lot of player surveys to see what our fans like and dislike and I think a lot of the discussion and strategies going forward that we have are going to cater to our fan base," Beck said. "We want to make sure that any activations that we do are super authentic to our fans and that we're not working with brands that aren't going to have any value to our players."
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Development hell: The video game
- Sexual conquest and emotional connections in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- With Han Solo, Leia and Chewie, Star Wars Commander is bringing back the force
- Wii U game pre-orders see the largest increase during Gamescom, says Amazon UK
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Feature to track games?
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us
- Polygon Video Player - What's the deal?
- Metro Redux: Will It Be A Must Purchase?