Microsoft may be announcing a new Xbox One exclusive this year from a Japanese developer, according to an interview in Famitsu with head of Microsoft Studios Phil Spencer.
Following his fireside chat at the 2014 Game Developers Conference last week, Spencer said Microsoft is planning special announcements to coincide with the launch of the Xbox One in Japan this September. When asked what games Japanese fans could look forward to with the Xbox One, he hinted that a well-known Japanese developer is providing an exclusive title for the console.
"The release date for Japan has been decided, and I'm very excited," Spencer said. "We will release a unique, exclusive title for the Xbox One from a wonderful Japanese developer."
Spencer also added that fans can expect announcements featuring "something never before seen" from Microsoft at the 2014 Tokyo Game Show, which will take place just outside the city Sept. 18-21.
During his fireside chat at GDC — during which he filled in for Marc Whitten following the Xbox vice president's announcement he is leaving the company — Spencer discussed the growing virtual reality space. He said Microsoft welcomes competition from companies like Valve and Sony, who are already making strides in the VR space, and noted that a renewed focus on PC is "definitely happening" within Microsoft.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Why Shadow of Mordor's undead Elven hero and sexy Sauron are such a big deal
- This Sonic and Cammy fan-film only gets weird after the S&M scene
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Magic 2015 lead designer says Duels of the Planeswalkers is a yearly franchise 'like FIFA or Madden'
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???