Diablo 3 is in development for Xbox One, producer Alex Mayberry told Videogamer.
Mayberry said that, although an Xbox One version being created, he doesn't know the specifics of any contract between Blizzard and Microsoft.
"I don't know where we are with Microsoft right now so I can't really comment on what that contract looks like," Mayberry said. "The point is we are developing for Xbox [One] and PS4 simultaneously. We hit those major platforms and then our goal as a development team is to make them run."
Diablo 3 launched first on Mac and Windows PC and later made its way to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. An interview with developers published last June said that the game was in development for next-gen systems, though it was later updated to clarify that they were referring to PlayStation 4. Diablo 3 developers told Polygon at E3 2013 that the game was in development for PS4.
Blizzard Entertainment's development pipeline allows the company to create an Xbox One version alongside the previously announced PlayStation 4 port, just as it did with the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of the action role-playing game.
"We have that pipeline worked out," Mayberry said. "We've already done it with the 360 and PS3, so that team knows how to develop at the same time for both of those platforms. That's just what we do. And then Blizzard and Microsoft can work out whatever they work out."
Diablo 3's first expansion, Reaper of Souls, will launch on Mac and Windows March 25 for $39.99. The game and its expansion will hit PS4 at an unannounced date with features exclusive to the console, and Blizzard will bring a playable PS4 demo of Diablo 3 to PAX East next month. You can learn more about Reaper of Souls' Adventure Mode in our interview lead designer Kevin Martens. Read Polygon's Diablo 3 review for our take on the console and PC ports.
Update: A Blizzard spokesperson told Polygon today that the developer's goal is "to bring Diablo 3 to as many players as possible," though it isn't making any announcements now.
"Our goal has always been to bring Diablo 3 to as many players as possible," the spokesperson said. "We're excited about launching the Ultimate Evil Edition for PS4 later this year, but we don't have any further platform announcements to share at this time."
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- League of Legends World Championship poised to sell out 45K seat stadium
- State of Decay dev's latest project is like the online Pokémon game you've always wanted
- VR school girls? When a Pokemon fighting game isn't the weirdest project from Bandai Namco
- Here's the first trailer for the new Resident Evil 1 remake
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?