Sony is "considering" allowing software to be pre-loaded on PlayStation 4, a representative from the company told Polygon.
Last week, a series of tweets from Infamous: Second Son developer Sucker Punch Studios indicated that Sony Computer Entertainment America would bring pre-loading to PS4 in April. A Sony representative did not confirm the date but did say that the company is aware of player requests for the feature.
"We know that it is the feature you've been asking for and we are considering it accordingly," the representative said. "We do not have specific details to announce at this point in time, but stay tuned for upcoming announcements about system updates and added features."
In May 2012, Sony announced its pre-buy feature, which includes the option to download unreleased games that unlock at release. By September 2012, Sony announced its "PSN Day 1 Digital" initiative to bring games to the PlayStation Store on the same day that their retail counterparts arrive in stores. Sony offered the service to those who pre-ordered Call of Duty: Ghosts and Grand Theft Auto 5 last year.
Upcoming PS4 software updates will allow players to save screenshots and videos to a USB drive, offer more customization options in the video editor and let players archive Twitch livestreams. PlayStation president of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida told Polygon last week that the company is working on an update that will allow users to dim the DualShock 4's light bar.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- Do low game prices spell a 'mass extinction' for game developers?
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- Disney Infinity is free to download on Wii U
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- I've experienced the Pokémon World Championships, and you should too
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Games with great Sound Design
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)