Sony is "considering" allowing software to be pre-loaded on PlayStation 4, a representative from the company told Polygon.
Last week, a series of tweets from Infamous: Second Son developer Sucker Punch Studios indicated that Sony Computer Entertainment America would bring pre-loading to PS4 in April. A Sony representative did not confirm the date but did say that the company is aware of player requests for the feature.
"We know that it is the feature you've been asking for and we are considering it accordingly," the representative said. "We do not have specific details to announce at this point in time, but stay tuned for upcoming announcements about system updates and added features."
In May 2012, Sony announced its pre-buy feature, which includes the option to download unreleased games that unlock at release. By September 2012, Sony announced its "PSN Day 1 Digital" initiative to bring games to the PlayStation Store on the same day that their retail counterparts arrive in stores. Sony offered the service to those who pre-ordered Call of Duty: Ghosts and Grand Theft Auto 5 last year.
Upcoming PS4 software updates will allow players to save screenshots and videos to a USB drive, offer more customization options in the video editor and let players archive Twitch livestreams. PlayStation president of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida told Polygon last week that the company is working on an update that will allow users to dim the DualShock 4's light bar.
- Why I'm in love with this sweet game about a little girl in Alaska
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- Deadpool's Hollywood screen test begins with Gwen Stefani, ends with a decapitated head
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- Homefront: The Revolution devs to move to Deep Silver as Crytek scales back two studios
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Tell Us Your Story
- What's your favorite silly game?
- RIP Friends List?
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!