Nintendo will not be exhibiting at this year's PAX East, a spokesperson confirmed to Polygon today.
"Interacting directly with our fans and letting them play our games firsthand is a key component of our approach," the spokesperson said. "That doesn't include PAX East this year, but we will offer our fans a variety of opportunities to get their hands on Nintendo products in 2014. Keep an eye on our social media pages for more information about where we'll be and what you can play."
This year marks the first time Nintendo has not attended PAX East.
Last year, Nintendo's presence at PAX East included Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pikmin 3 and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. At PAX Prime, the company showed off the Nintendo 2DS and The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD. The company scaled back its presence at E3 last year in favor of smaller, more director presentations.
Polygon will be reporting on-site from the event in April. We've contacted several other companies to confirm their presence and will update accordingly.
Update: Sega has confirmed its absence this year; however, a spokesperson told Polygon that the company would attend PAX Prime.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?