Nintendo will not be exhibiting at this year's PAX East, a spokesperson confirmed to Polygon today.
"Interacting directly with our fans and letting them play our games firsthand is a key component of our approach," the spokesperson said. "That doesn't include PAX East this year, but we will offer our fans a variety of opportunities to get their hands on Nintendo products in 2014. Keep an eye on our social media pages for more information about where we'll be and what you can play."
This year marks the first time Nintendo has not attended PAX East.
Last year, Nintendo's presence at PAX East included Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pikmin 3 and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. At PAX Prime, the company showed off the Nintendo 2DS and The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD. The company scaled back its presence at E3 last year in favor of smaller, more director presentations.
Polygon will be reporting on-site from the event in April. We've contacted several other companies to confirm their presence and will update accordingly.
Update: Sega has confirmed its absence this year; however, a spokesperson told Polygon that the company would attend PAX Prime.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- Do low game prices spell a 'mass extinction' for game developers?
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- Pokémon's Slowpoke has its own official reggae song
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- I've experienced the Pokémon World Championships, and you should too
- Games with great Sound Design
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21