Slowly but surely, Xbox 360 emulation is coming to the PC. Very slowly, for now.
In a video uploaded earlier this week, Xenia, by Ben Vanik, is seen running Frogger 2, released on Xbox Live Arcade in 2008. Vanik explained that the game is running extremely slow because the emulator is working through a debug interpreter; Vanik says the emulator will run at normal speed as development continues.
Go to 6:08 of the video to see the game.
It's a proof of concept for something that's been four years in the making. Xenia's project page is here but Vanik is not releasing any executable of the emulator.
"The goal of this project is to experiment, research, and educate on the topic of emulation of modern devices and operating systems," Vanik writes. "It is not for enabling illegal activity. All information is obtained via reverse engineering of legally purchased devices and games and information made public on the Internet."
Console emulation on PC has advanced to include the PlayStation 2 and Wii, but emulating the original Xbox has proven difficult. PS3 emulation is also in an embryonic stage, though a video from earlier this month showed a project booting a commercial PS3 game.
- 2014 in review: Polygon's best reports cover war, flood, The Hobbit and Satan's schemings
- 2014 in review: the year that sucked
- Claim a free game and give up the right to sue over Assassin's Creed Unity
- Someone made the Star Wars trailer in GTA 5, and they actually pulled it off
- Awesome Games Done Quick's speedrunning spectacle returns Jan. 7
- Weekend at Polygon's: The weekend before Christmas (20-21 Dec.)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No. 4.1 - 'Tis the Week Before...
- Pokémon Discussions - Primal Evolution Ain't Cheap
- Way to make this site have a dark background?
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection makes an appearance in Marvel's Agent's of Shield
- Some PSP/ PS1 games listed as compatible for PStv in USA but not in EU/AUS... why? :(
- Let's See Your Photo Mode Snaps From The Last of Us!
- Why We Shouldn't Try to Stop "Hatred"?
- What are your top 25 games of all-time?
- Toradora Christmas Club