Ubisoft will continue to develop for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles for several more years, company vice-president of creative Lionel Raynaud told Edge.
"We will have games for PS3 and 360 for this year and probably the years after," said Raynaud prior to confirmation of Assassin's Creed Unity on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Windows PC. "We want to be able to provide games to people who are playing on these consoles. Black Flag was the first Assassin's Creed game of this new generation but it was designed with that in mind, but I wouldn't say it was a cross-generation game, as it has features that could only be for this generation."
Developing across both last and current gen systems isn't restrictive for developers, Raynaud continued, describing cross-generational development as simply a matter of deciding which console will be the focus throughout.
"It's a choice," he said, "even when you do a game that has old-gen and new-gen versions, we decide which one is lead. So if you decide that new gen is lead for all of your games, then you have no restrictions at all. You're just saying that the other generation will maybe not be able to have everything but still be a better game than we're used to having on this generation. We never made choices on Assassin's Creed or Watch Dogs where because we have this other generation we couldn't put something in the game. It would be a very bad call from a company and brand perspective."
Likewise, Electronic Arts told Polygon last year it plans to continue publishing games for Xbox 360 and PS3.
"Gen 3 is an awesome platform," he said. "It has a huge audience and has a lot of capability and we're going to continue to publish games on gen 3 for as long as there is an audience there. We have a tendency as a company to support the last-gen platforms for many many years. I can tell you we have products planned for next year, the year after that and the year after that for gen 3 for sure."
- Madden 15 review: victory formation
- Sarkeesian driven out of home by online abuse and death threats
- Inside a video game voiceover studio
- Quake Live is changing, in part to find a wider audience on Steam
- SWAT threat locks down school, gets Counter-Strike player slammed to the ground
- A lightning tour of Infamous: First Light's scaled-down scope
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Old Iron King - A spoiler-free guide
- What's exclusive to the PlayStation versions of Destiny?
- Amazon and Twitch are the competitors YouTube needs
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 27
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Spacecom is 4X strategy, and you can grab beta keys here
- On Patreon support
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Polygon must change its ethics policy.
- Games with great Sound Design
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 26