Batman: Arkham Knight is headed to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and and Windows PC this year from Arkham series creator Rocksteady Games, publisher Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announced today.
Batman: Arkham Knight will take place in larger Gotham City, one year after the events of Batman: Arkham City. The game will feature a drivable batmobile and, like previous entries in the franchise, include a cast of villains like Penguin, Scarecrow, Two-Face and Harley Quinn, who will be a playable character for those who pre-order the game.
"We kind of feel like this is the natural end for this story," said a developer in a video accompanying the announcement in Game Informer. "We really want to go out in style."
The game will not include multiplayer, game director Sefton Hill said.
"It's going to take all of our effort for all of this time," Hill told Game Informer. "We don't have the time to do multiplayer. We want to focus on making the best single-player experience we can."
Batman: Arkham Knight is in development at the studio that created the first two Arkham games, 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum and 2011's Batman: Arkham City. Warner Bros. Games Montreal developed 2013's Batman: Arkham Origins.
According to Game Informer, the game's title, Arkham Knight, is not a reference to Batman, but a new hero entirely from DC and Rock Steady.
Update: An image that accompanies the game's listing on GameStop's website shows an Oct. 14, 2014 release date for Batman: Arkham Knight. Polygon contacted WBIE, who declined to confirm the release date. The GameStop image also states that Harley Quinn is playable in four challenge maps with "her unique weapons, gadgets and abilities."
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Hotline Miami publisher is coming to the rescue of GaymerX after this week's funding mishap (update)
- Why Shadow of Mordor's undead Elven hero and sexy Sauron are such a big deal
- This ATM won't give you any cash, but it will drop you 'Knee-Deep in the Dead'
- Watch The Last of Us: One Night Live right now
- HBO documentary examines addiction, ethics of game design in shadow of child's death
- PAX Prime 2014's featured indies include Mushroom 11, Duet, Framed
- NIS America allegedly backtracks out of GaymerX sponsorship
- Shadow Warrior takes Hotline Miami references to Europe in this exclusive content on Sept. 26
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today