Batman: Arkham Knight is headed to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and and Windows PC this year from Arkham series creator Rocksteady Games, publisher Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announced today.
Batman: Arkham Knight will take place in larger Gotham City, one year after the events of Batman: Arkham City. The game will feature a drivable batmobile and, like previous entries in the franchise, include a cast of villains like Penguin, Scarecrow, Two-Face and Harley Quinn, who will be a playable character for those who pre-order the game.
"We kind of feel like this is the natural end for this story," said a developer in a video accompanying the announcement in Game Informer. "We really want to go out in style."
The game will not include multiplayer, game director Sefton Hill said.
"It's going to take all of our effort for all of this time," Hill told Game Informer. "We don't have the time to do multiplayer. We want to focus on making the best single-player experience we can."
Batman: Arkham Knight is in development at the studio that created the first two Arkham games, 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum and 2011's Batman: Arkham City. Warner Bros. Games Montreal developed 2013's Batman: Arkham Origins.
According to Game Informer, the game's title, Arkham Knight, is not a reference to Batman, but a new hero entirely from DC and Rock Steady.
Update: An image that accompanies the game's listing on GameStop's website shows an Oct. 14, 2014 release date for Batman: Arkham Knight. Polygon contacted WBIE, who declined to confirm the release date. The GameStop image also states that Harley Quinn is playable in four challenge maps with "her unique weapons, gadgets and abilities."
- Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell sends the Saints to Hell in 2015
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Peggle 2 is coming to PlayStation 4
- Is Activision pondering a Take-Two takeover?
- More Dragon Quest games heading to mobile, including the original, very soon
- Themes are coming to Nintendo 3DS to make your old 3DS prettier
- Super Meat Boy Forever is an endless platformer, not a little 'throwaway game'
- Ambitious, beautiful multiplayer space combat game GoD Factory: Wingmen launches today
- I'm going to make an AMV...and I need your help.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Calling all first team Polygon staff to the Set!
- how do i cross save olliolli from Vita to ps4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Nintendo Customer Service