Batman: Arkham Knight is headed to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and and Windows PC this year from Arkham series creator Rocksteady Games, publisher Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announced today.
Batman: Arkham Knight will take place in larger Gotham City, one year after the events of Batman: Arkham City. The game will feature a drivable batmobile and, like previous entries in the franchise, include a cast of villains like Penguin, Scarecrow, Two-Face and Harley Quinn, who will be a playable character for those who pre-order the game.
"We kind of feel like this is the natural end for this story," said a developer in a video accompanying the announcement in Game Informer. "We really want to go out in style."
The game will not include multiplayer, game director Sefton Hill said.
"It's going to take all of our effort for all of this time," Hill told Game Informer. "We don't have the time to do multiplayer. We want to focus on making the best single-player experience we can."
Batman: Arkham Knight is in development at the studio that created the first two Arkham games, 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum and 2011's Batman: Arkham City. Warner Bros. Games Montreal developed 2013's Batman: Arkham Origins.
According to Game Informer, the game's title, Arkham Knight, is not a reference to Batman, but a new hero entirely from DC and Rock Steady.
Update: An image that accompanies the game's listing on GameStop's website shows an Oct. 14, 2014 release date for Batman: Arkham Knight. Polygon contacted WBIE, who declined to confirm the release date. The GameStop image also states that Harley Quinn is playable in four challenge maps with "her unique weapons, gadgets and abilities."
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community
- Is Telltale teasing the setting for its new Game of Thrones series?
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart