The dogfighting module was delayed in December 2013 in order to work on the game server's backend. According to the post, the module will first premiere at a special "citizens-only" event taking place before PAX East, which runs April 11 - 13 in Boston.
"As I write this, the Star Citizen team is all around me hard at work on the dogfighting module," Roberts wrote. "... The team is scurrying to take care of thousands upon thousands of necessary details: variable damage states, HUD detailing, weapons cameras, engine sounds and countless other things that go into creating an immersive space combat experience. At this point, we can now regularly dogfight here in the office."
However, the game's server backend continues to pose the greatest potential block for development, Roberts said.
"We have high hopes that the solution will be ready in time for launch ... and that that solution will stand up to the hundreds of thousands of citizens waiting to battle it out," Roberts wrote. "The very success that Star Citizen has had in building such a large community so early in its development is also one of its most challenging — launching the [dogfighting module] will be akin to launching a major online game."
Currently, there are 212 people working Star Citizen, which surpassed $39 million in funding only weeks ago. Addressing the game's ever expanding needs last December, Roberts said that the team would continue to grow as needed.
Star Citizen is expected to launch for Windows PC next year.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dungeons & Dragons castle defense game coming to mobile next year
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- People watched Twitch Plays Pokémon for a billion minutes
- In Firewatch, the job isn't to keep the wilderness from burning down
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Calling all first team Polygon staff to the Set!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- What is your Current Game of the Year?