Citing numerous "trusted sources" close to Naughty Dog, IGN reports that Hennig was writing and leading the development of the next instalment of the Uncharted series for PlayStation 4 before her final day with the developer on March 3. According to IGN, sources claim the creative director was "forced out" of the company.
Hennig departs the studio after a decade, working as creative director and writer on Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. She won the Writers Guild of America's Outstanding Achievement in Writing for Video Games in 2012 for her work on Uncharted 3.
Fortune Magazine recently listed Hennig in its top 10 list of the most powerful women in games, alongside Ubisoft Toronto managing director Jade Raymond and EA's Lucy Bradshaw.
Polygon has reached out to Naughty Dog and Sony for confirmation and comment. We will update this post as more information comes to hand.
Update: Sony confirmed with Polygon that Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog and issued the following statement: "We can confirm that Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog. Amy has made significant contributions to the game industry and we appreciate all she has done for Naughty Dog. The development timeline of Uncharted will not be impacted."
Update 2: Hennig sent a tweet to thank people for their support upon her departure from Naughty Dog:
Well, now I know how to get my follower count to shoot up! Thanks, everyone, for the kind words - it's very appreciated. More than you know.— Amy Hennig (@amy_hennig) March 5, 2014
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward