South Park: The Stick of Truth has been delayed in Austria and Germany because developer Obsidian Entertainment's role-playing game includes swastikas, which is a "symbol of an unconstitutional organization," a representative from Ubisoft confirmed to Polygon today.
The game was originally set for March 6 release. Ubisoft has not yet announced an updated release date but will reveal one "shortly," according to a statement from the company.
"The German and Austrian version of South Park: The Stick of Truth contains a symbol of an unconstitutional organization, whereupon we stopped the distribution of the game and unfortunately will not be able to release it as initially planned [in] March 6, 2014 on the German and Austrian market," the statement reads. "This concerns all versions/platforms of the game."
South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone, who also wrote The Stick of Truth, spoke to The New York Times earlier this week about the pressure to censor content in the video game and the TV show.
"It's just hilarious," Parker said. "The first thing we got back was you can't have Nazis in Germany. You've got these Nazi zombies, and you can't show Nazis in Germany. And I'm like, 'Well, I'm pretty sure they did it first.'"
"At least now it's authentically a South Park thing," Stone said. "If we didn't get censored, it wouldn't be South Park. "
For more on South Park: The Stick of Truth, be sure to read and watch Polygon's review, which called it "a great South Park game."
- Ghosts in the machine? Using the Kinect to hunt for spirits
- Report: Target, Best Buy kickoff big video game sales Nov. 9
- Rumor: Zombies are coming to Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- Blizzard is planning on World of Warcraft still being around in 2024
- Next year's DICE awards will honor innovation, 'big ideas and artistic risks'
- Analysis of the Anita/Colbert Interview
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No 1.2: No More Games.
- Pokémon Discussions - Trumpets in the Distance
- Polygon Daily Open-Thread: Two hands are better than one (Thur 30 Oct)
- Gamer Gate coverage: Polygon vs. Youtuber
- Unused Kinect Ideas
- Polygon Daily Open-Thread: Iron Hammer (Wed 29 Oct)
- Clans of Polygon: What's going on in Destiny? (October)
- Muslim community leader rolls out tired gamer stereotype
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?