South Park: The Stick of Truth has been delayed in Austria and Germany because developer Obsidian Entertainment's role-playing game includes swastikas, which is a "symbol of an unconstitutional organization," a representative from Ubisoft confirmed to Polygon today.
The game was originally set for March 6 release. Ubisoft has not yet announced an updated release date but will reveal one "shortly," according to a statement from the company.
"The German and Austrian version of South Park: The Stick of Truth contains a symbol of an unconstitutional organization, whereupon we stopped the distribution of the game and unfortunately will not be able to release it as initially planned [in] March 6, 2014 on the German and Austrian market," the statement reads. "This concerns all versions/platforms of the game."
South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone, who also wrote The Stick of Truth, spoke to The New York Times earlier this week about the pressure to censor content in the video game and the TV show.
"It's just hilarious," Parker said. "The first thing we got back was you can't have Nazis in Germany. You've got these Nazi zombies, and you can't show Nazis in Germany. And I'm like, 'Well, I'm pretty sure they did it first.'"
"At least now it's authentically a South Park thing," Stone said. "If we didn't get censored, it wouldn't be South Park. "
For more on South Park: The Stick of Truth, be sure to read and watch Polygon's review, which called it "a great South Park game."
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Tonight, a nation's favorite game will award a human prize
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- HBO documentary examines addiction, ethics of game design in shadow of child's death
- Why Shadow of Mordor's undead Elven hero and sexy Sauron are such a big deal
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27