The next major version of Microsoft's DirectX API will be unveiled at GDC 2014 on March 20, according to the company's DirectX developer site.
DirectX 12 will be detailed by Anuj Gosalia, development manager for graphics at Microsoft, in a sponsored session titled "DirectX: Evolving Microsoft's Graphics Platform." The official GDC website offers the following description of that talk:
For nearly 20 years, DirectX has been the platform used by game developers to create the fastest, most visually impressive games on the planet. However, you asked us to do more. You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware. You also asked us for better tools so that you can squeeze every last drop of performance out of your PC, tablet, phone and console. Come learn our plans to deliver.
Microsoft has another session, to be given by Windows Graphics development lead Max McMullen, that focuses on "Direct3D Futures."
"Come learn how future changes to Direct3D will enable next generation games to run faster than ever before," the session's description reads. "In this session we will discuss future improvements in Direct3D that will allow developers an unprecedented level of hardware control and reduced CPU rendering overhead across a broad ecosystem of hardware."
Eight talks dedicated to DirectX 11 are also planned.
A DirectX 12 Twitter account tweeted today that "Rumors of our demise have been greatly exaggerated," and that the next version of the multimedia programming interface would be exposed at this month's Game Developers Conference. A teaser page shows AMD, Intel, Nvidia and Qualcomm logos, indicating those companies will support the latest version of Microsoft's API suite.
The last major version of the DirectX API was released for Windows in 2009.
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- Keep your pants up with these GoldenEye proximity mines
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart