Neil Druckmann, the game's creative director, is attached to write the film's script. He recently won the Writers Guild of America's Outstanding Achievement in Writing for Video Games award.
The Last of Us' big screen adaptation will be produced by Sam Raimi's Ghost House Pictures production company.
"Screen Gems' Brian Dukes and Eric Ling brought this game to my attention insisting we go after it, and when I saw the quality of the storytelling, I knew the audience for this project was far greater than just the gaming community and that Neil Druckmann must write the screenplay," Screen Gems President Clint Culpepper said in a release. "I am thrilled that SCEA's Riley Russell was able to get me in front of Neil and Evan Wells to plead my case. Sam and his team at Ghost House round out the perfect team to help realize Neil's vision."
"Our partnership with Sam Raimi, Ghost House Pictures, and Screen Gems to develop a film based on The Last of Us universe is a perfect fit," said Evan Wells, Naughty Dog co-president. "Since our game released last June, we've talked with many companies about making a film, but we couldn't have found better partners who share our creative vision and high standards. We look forward to collaborating with Sam, his team, and Screen Gems, to make a movie that will thrill fans of The Last of Us and general audiences worldwide."
Naughty Dog's other major property, the Uncharted series, has also been mined for a movie adaptation. An Uncharted movie was first announced in 2009, with Avi Arad attached to produce and David O. Russell (American Hustle, Three Kings) attached to direct. After Russell left the project, director Neil Burger (Limitless, The Illusionist) stepped in. A more recent report said Seth Gordon (Identity Thief, The King of Kong) was in negotiations to direct the cinematic adventures of Nathan Drake.
- I caught every Pokémon and it only took most of my life
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Tales of Xillia 2 review: time sink
- Swing Copters, clones and the dismal failure of the 'open' app store
- Legend of Grimrock 2 now in beta, iOS port of first game shown
- Watch 20 minutes of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain gameplay from Gamescom
- Demos are dead, long live demos
- Netflix shows off experimental virtual reality interface
- Microsoft pulls plug on free-to-play Xbox 360 game Ascend: Hand of Kul
- How Super III is super inspired by Super Meat Boy, Super Mario 64
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Games with great Sound Design
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Feature to track games?
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us